The "story arc" of a TV series

tufguy

hindi
Can we tell someone the "story arc" of a TV series? For example if there is a TV series that airs different episodes everyday but it has a different story arc every week. Each story arc has six episodes. So can we say tell me a particular story arc of abc series?

• Truffula

English - USA
    A story arc is not something that is generally "told," no; I think that is what you are asking. I don't think it's impossible, but it is not what a native speaker would usually say.

You could tell someone the plot of the story arc.

Some examples (I searched for "story arc" and "tell" together to find these):

"Story Arc Types: These are the different types of stories you can tell that resonate through all cultures." from https://kopywritingkourse.com/story-arc/

"Using the story arc, you’ll be better prepared to tell your company’s story clearly and effectively, which will help you build greater trust in your company's capabilities and a stronger brand." and several other examples here: TIP: Using the story arc to tell your company’s story

"Now that you have an interesting story arc with scenes to create movement, don’t let the audience get lost. Tell them where you are going and why you are going there. " from Understanding story structure in 4 drawings

To generalize, we can "tell a story" and that story can have a story arc. The story arc is conceived of as a thing that exists, a structure: the story can be told and in telling the story, the teller creates the story arc as a structure in the mind of the listener.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Among television shows, many tell a single story from beginning to end, from the start to its full conclusion, within a single episode. Some spread that single story over two or more episodes: The set of episodes over which a single story is told can be referred to as an arc.

This same usage is also seen in comic books or graphic novels.

From Story arc - Wikipedia :
    A story arc (also narrative arc) is an extended or continuing storyline in episodic storytelling media such as television, comic books, comic strips, boardgames, video games, and films with each episode following a dramatic arc. On a television program, for example, the story would unfold over many episodes. In television, the use of the story arc is much more common in dramas than in comedies, especially in soap operas.​

tufguy

hindi
    Among television shows, many tell a single story from beginning to end, from the start to its full conclusion, within a single episode. Some spread that single story over two or more episodes: The set of episodes over which a single story is told can be referred to as an arc.

This same usage is also seen in comic books or graphic novels.

From Story arc - Wikipedia :
    A story arc (also narrative arc) is an extended or continuing storyline in episodic storytelling media such as television, comic books, comic strips, boardgames, video games, and films with each episode following a dramatic arc. On a television program, for example, the story would unfold over many episodes. In television, the use of the story arc is much more common in dramas than in comedies, especially in soap operas.​
    So, can we say "can you please tell me the plot of story arc from that TV series" or "can you tell me the plot of story arc that ran from July 1 to July 10 on that TV series"?

Truffula

English - USA
    Bibliolept - the question is whether the word "tell" can be used as in "I tell the story arc of the first three episodes of a season" or whether you have to "tell" something else about the story arc (I have found the latter).

Such as "I tell the plot of the story arc that comprises the first three episodes" or "I tell the story to the listeners, so they now know what happens in the story arc of the first three seasons" - no one ever directly uses "story arc" as the direct object of "tell."

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Bibliolept - the question is whether the word "tell" can be used as in "I tell the story arc of the first three episodes of a season" or whether you have to "tell" something else about the story arc (I have found the latter).

Such as "I tell the plot of the story arc that comprises the first three episodes" or "I tell the story to the listeners, so they now know what happens in the story arc of the first three seasons" - no one ever directly uses "story arc" as the direct object of "tell."
    Both your sample sentences sound perfectly acceptable to me.

Edit: All three are acceptable.

Last edited:

Truffula

English - USA
    Since I gave three sample sentences and only two of them I find acceptable, that answer is really confusing.

< Previous | Next >