The subject connected by as well as should always be set off with parenthetical commas?: as well as

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
Dear Teachers,
Namaskar.
The compound conjunction "as well as" always seems to introduce additional information, by its default meaning. So I think whenever a subject is connected with another subject with "as well as", the compound conjunction + the additional subject should always be separated from the rest of the sentence with a pair of parenthetical commas. I can't imagine any context where the additional subject should not be set off. Please have a look at the following examples:
1. I, as well as my brother, have passed the exam.
2. Indians, as well as Xians, are usually hypocrites.

Do you think not separating the additional subject -- joined with "as well as" -- with commas can be correct or preferable in any context? If yes, could you please make up such a sentence for me?

Thank you very much in anticipation.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    as well as = including - it is always parenthetical in this context, and therefore is in commas. An interesting point is demonstrated in

He, as well as the rest of his class, is going to Paris. Note that the ", as well as the rest of his class," does not affect the verb.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    as well as = including - it is always parenthetical in this context, and therefore is in commas. He, as well as the rest of his class, is going to Paris. Note that the ", as well as the rest of his class," does not affect the verb.
    Thanks a lot. Yes, I knew the verb agrees with the first subject. So if the additional subject is not set off with commas, it should be considered a grammatical error. Agree? I just want to get that confirmed.
    Thanks a ton.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Yes, parenthetical subjects are offset by commas. "John, and for that matter his sister, is a wonderful singer."; "The entire class, excluding you, Jones, are going home early."; "We, and later our allies, will crush the rebels.", etc

< Previous | Next >