the subject is partial to postwar British painters

taraa

Persian
(This is all a dream. Cobb and Arthure take Saito into a dream. In this dream Mal (Cobb's dead wife) is too. Mal sips champagne as she studies a painting by Francis Bacon.

Mal: Looks like Arthur's taste.
Cobb: Actually, the subject is partial to postwar British painters.

Inception movie

Does Cobb agree that the painting is Arthur's taste? (The subject is Saito)

• Myridon

English - US
    I cannot tell who "the subject" is from your context, however "the subject" likes the style of postwar British painters. This is not a painting in that style.

taraa

Persian
    I cannot tell who "the subject" is from your context, however "the subject" likes the style of postwar British painters. This is not a painting in that style.
    The subject is Saito.
    I understand. Thank you so much, Myridon. :)

Uncle Jack

British English
    This is not a painting in that style.
    I would have said it was. Bacon (1909 – 1992) only really became famous as a painter after the war, and is usually described as being British, although he was born in Ireland (which was part of Britain at the time).

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Early in this movie, during Mal and Cobb's conversation in a room within Saito's estate, Mal comments on a painting in the background. Cobb replies stating that Saito "is partial to postwar British painters". This is referring to the artist, Francis Bacon. The painting, "Study for Head of George Dyer", is of his late lover, whom he painted long after Dyer's death to perpetuate his memory.
    I can't vouch for the truth of this, or whether it refers to the scene in question. I think I only managed to watch about half an hour of this film. Having looked at the script (I don't know how reliable it is) , I realise I haven't seen this film. It's reasonable that the painting reflects Saito's taste, since it seems to be hanging in his castle.

Mal sips champagne as she studies a painting by Francis
    Bacon.

MAL
    Looks like Arthur's taste.

Cobb is looking down through the window at the GUARDS
    patrolling the castle at ground level.

COBB
    Actually, Mr. Saito is partial to
    postwar British painters.

He turns to Mal, donning a pair of black leather gloves.
    Inception Script at IMSDb.

Last edited:

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Bacon is one of the most famous and distinctive British painters of the second half of the 20th century. I would expect that the film is using him as a sincere example. I have no idea if there are debates about his period or national background in the art world. He also has a rather harsh ",ugly" painterly way with his brush strokes.

taraa

Persian
    Thank you all so much.
    But why later in the movie Mal says:
    Judging by the decor we are in your mind, Arthur.

This means that the dream is decorated by Arthur and the painting should be Arthur's taste. Is this wrong?

Uncle Jack

British English
    This means that the dream is decorated by Arthur and the painting should be Arthur's taste. Is this wrong?
    The rest of the decor might be to Arthur's taste, but that does not necessarily mean the painting is as well. Perhaps it is (Mal thought so), and Arthur just happened to have hit on one that the subject might also like, or perhaps Arthur knew Saito's preferences in art, and chose an appropriate painting.

taraa

Persian
    The rest of the decor might be to Arthur's taste, but that does not necessarily mean the painting is as well. Perhaps it is (Mal thought so), and Arthur just happened to have hit on one that the subject might also like, or perhaps Arthur knew Saito's preferences in art, and chose an appropriate painting.
    Thank you so much, Uncle Jack!

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Thank you all so much.
    But why later in the movie Mal says:
    Judging by the decor we are in your mind, Arthur.

Here we are up against figuring out the rules of this imaginary world. We would never say this in real life because it isn't possible. But I have to assume that in this imaginary world people can get into other people's minds when they dream?

Someone who has watched this film is a better guide to fighting out these plot points. Also there are often plot summaries of films online that can make things a bit more clear.

taraa

Persian
    Here we are up against figuring out the rules of this imaginary world. We would never say this in real life because it isn't possible. But I have to assume that in this imaginary world people can get into other people's minds when they dream?

Someone who has watched this film is a better guide to fighting out these plot points. Also there are often plot summaries of films online that can make things a bit more clear.
    Thank you very much!

< Previous | Next >