The subscriber you dialled is busy now.

< Previous | Next >

Mohamoka

Chinese
In China, every time you cannot get through to the person you call, an auto-reply tells you either of the following:
1. The subscriber you dialled is busy now.
2. The subscriber you dialled cannot be connected.

Given that the telecommunication companies are all super big ones, I do not dare to think their English is wrong. But I doubt it’s natural to speak that way.
What do you hear in your country in such circumstances?

---added information after posting---
After your replies, I find I have missed something. Actually we get the first or second reply in different situations.
1. The subscriber you dialled is busy now. [A calls B, but B is using their phone]
2. The subscriber you dialled cannot be connected. [A calls B, but for unspecified reasons, B cannot be connected]

Last edited:
  • natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    We don't get an announcement in this context. You just get an engaged tone. (Americans say 'busy signal'?) This is a single repeated note.

If the line is not in use, you might get an announcement. 'The number that you dialled is no longer in use.'

The English of your announcement is fine, although 'subscriber' sounds a bit old fashioned these days.

kentix

English - U.S.
    We get a voicemail option to leave a message. It's often recorded by the person themselves.

< Previous | Next >