The subsequent subjection the apostle Paul explains as a figure

< Previous | Next >

gil12345

chinese
Hi there,

"Thus it should seem, that all the arts of the grand deceiver (since means adequate to the purpose are, I conceive, invariably pursued) were requisite to mislead our general mother, while the father of mankind forfeited his own, and relinquished the happiness of posterity, merely in compliance with the blandishments of a female. The subsequent subjection the apostle Paul explains as a figure; after enlarging upon the subject, he adds, "This is a great mystery; but I speak concerning Christ and the church." "

On the Equality of the Sexes. (1790, Judith Sargent Murray)

I understand the underlined part as ""The apostle Paul explains the subsequent subjection as a figure." But I don't understand what is "the subjection" and "a figure"? (and how does the sentence fit in the context?):rolleyes::rolleyes:. (I know all the words.at least seemingly, yet I fail to get the meaning, making me all the more frustrated.)

Thanks

Gil

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The apostle Paul (Ephesians 5) explains the subsequent subjection of women with a metaphor. The relationship between a man and his wife is or should be similar to that between Christ and His church.

22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
    Bible Gateway passage: Ephesians 5 - King James Version

gil12345

chinese
    The apostle Paul (Ephesians 5) explains the subsequent subjection of women with a metaphor. The relationship between a man and his wife is or should be similar to that between Christ and His church.
    Thanks, I know "figure of speech," but I didn't know figure=figure of speech. (My wife is a christian, but...)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I didn't know figure=figure of speech
    "Figure" does not equal "figure of speech". You found a definition (perhaps in WRD?) of "metaphor" that says it is "a figure of speech in which ...", but it's this "..." that is the important part of the definition.

Murray is using the word "figure" to represent the idea of metaphor or symbol.

gil12345

chinese
    "Figure" does not equal "figure of speech". You found a definition (perhaps in WRD?) of "metaphor" that says it is "a figure of speech in which ...", but it's this "..." that is the important part of the definition.

Murray is using the word "figure" to represent the idea of metaphor or symbol.
    Yes, I got the definition from The Free Dictionary: figure 13

< Previous | Next >