the successive additional information

< Previous | Next >

Julianus

Korean
Hello.

1a. Movies were first seen as an exceptionally potent kind of illusionist theatre, the rectangle of the screen corresponding to the proscenium of a stage, on which appear actors.(Korea university entrance exam)

I think that 'the rectangle of the screen corresponding to the proscenium of a stage' is an additonal information about 'kind of illusionist theatre' and on which appear actors is also an additonal information about 'the proscenium of a stage'. If so, can I add several successive additional information at the immediately front sentence like following?

1b. Movies were first seen as an exceptionally potent kind of illusionist theatre, the rectangle of the screen corresponding to the proscenium of a stage, on which appear actors, who are very talented....

Thank you always~.

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    ... can I add several successive additional information at the immediately front sentence like following?
    You can always add more clauses and more phrases to a sentence.

No, wait, I meant:

You, who often ask very good questions on these forums, can always add more clauses, which are characterized by having finite verbs, and more phrases, which need not have finite verbs, to an ever-lengthening sentence when you're writing in English.

No, wait, I meant:

You, who often ask very good questions on these forums populated by speakers both native and otherwise, trying their best to puzzle their way through the mysteries of language, can always add more clauses, which are characterized by having finite verbs, and more phrases, adjectival, adverbial, gerundial, infinitive, which need not have finite verbs - and that's leaving out appositional additions, which are some of my favorites - to an ever-lengthening sentence when you're writing in English, burgeoning it with more and more information, more and more meaning, more and more complexity (although at a certain point it will become unreadable).

Actually, Proust apparently wrote this way: beginning with small sentences and then revising them to the point where they were over a page long.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    However, I don't think you're right in saying that 'the rectangle of the screen corresponding to the proscenium of a stage' is an additonal information about 'kind of illusionist theatre'. In my view, this is an additonal piece of information about cinema.

Julianus

Korean
    However, I don't think you're right in saying that 'the rectangle of the screen corresponding to the proscenium of a stage' is an additonal information about 'kind of illusionist theatre'. In my view, this is an additonal piece of information about cinema.
    Does 'cinema' means 'theatre' in thie sentence? If not, how can I add an additional information to non-existing word?

< Previous | Next >