the symbols that embody our

< Previous | Next >

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
Some of us are naturally more attuned to the emotional mind's special symbolic modes: metaphor and simile, along with poetry, song, and fable, are all cast in the language of the heart. So too are dreams and myths, in which loose associations determine the flow of narrative, abiding by the logic of the emotional mind. Those who have a natural attunement to their own heart's voice—the language of emotion—are sure to be more adept at articulating its messages, whether as a novelist, songwriter, or psychotherapist. This inner attunement should make them more gifted in giving voice to the "wisdom of the unconscious"—the felt meanings of our dreams and fantasies, the symbols that embody our deepest wishes.
(Emotional Intelligence; D. Goleman)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether it is possible to read it in the following ways:

1) the "wisdom of the unconscious"— (a) the felt meanings of our dreams and fantasies, (2) the symbols that embody our deepest wishes.
2) the "wisdom of the unconscious"—the felt meanings of our dreams and fantasies, [the felt meanings of] the symbols that embody our deepest wishes.
3) the "wisdom of the unconscious"—the felt meanings of our [dreams and fantasies, i.e. the symbols that embody our deepest wishes].

Thanks.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I read it as 3: I think "the symbols that embody our deepest wishes" is an explanation of what "our dreams and fantasies" really are.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >