The teacher is holding a class now.

sinukg

Malayalam
Hello everyone,

A teacher is teaching in a class. In this context, could you please tell me which of the following sentences are correct?

The teacher is giving a class now.
The teacher is holding a class now.
The teacher is taking a class now.

• MedievalElf

British English
    I see that there are a few old threads discussing this topic. It might be worth reading a few. I am not sure that there is a consensus.
    Perhaps 'the teacher is with a class now'

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I asked my teacher wife and she tells me it is common for teachers to say 'I am taking a class'...
    I agree - it must be BE. Owlman's #2 is probably AE.

That said, if I'm not a teacher and I say, "I'm taking a class in local history" in BE, it can mean that I'm attending that class.

sinukg

Malayalam
    These are normal if you mean to say that the teacher is leading or teaching a class.

This probably means that the teacher is a student in a class taught by somebody else.
    I'd like to ask a question here. Can we say "The teacher is teaching a class right now"?

Wordy McWordface

English - SSBE Standard British
    I'll wait for the brits to weigh in, but I believe this is a US/UK cleavage line. In the UK, instructors can indeed take a class.
    Indeed they can.

In BrE, in the context of teaching, if a teacher 'takes' a class this means that they are teaching that class. For example, if a teacher is off sick, one of their colleagues might need to take their class.

I once fell right down into the abyss of this cleavage line. I was reading an article written by an American teacher and came across the statement "My mom took my class". Fine, thought I, this makes perfect sense. I presumed that the writer's mother was a fellow teacher who stood in for him when he was absent and taught his class for him. It took quite a while for me to realise that this was not what the writer meant at all: he meant that his mother had enrolled as a student on the course which he was teaching.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    In BrE, in the context of teaching, if a teacher 'takes' a class this means that they are teaching that class. For example, if a teacher is off sick, one of their colleagues might need to take their class.
    In the sense of "taking someone else's class", that is used in AmE as well. Mr Jones will be taking (the responsibility for) Mr Smith's class while he is out. But not: Mr Jones takes the 10 o'clock English class.