the team, the coach -- definite article

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
A newly appointed C.O., captain Holt, wants all the detectives in his team to wear ties. Later, when Jake asks Holton why it took him so long to get his first command he tells a story about himself -- he's gay, the old NYPD didn't accept the fact, but then times changed, he made captain. But only recently did he get to be in charge of his own command. And now, Jake tells him at one point:
— I just got the tie thing! (.............) It's a uniform! We're a team, and the tie is a part of that team's uniform, right? It's important to you, because you were kept off the team for so long, and now you're the coach, and you want us to all wear that same uniform.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine, TV series

This question is still worrying me. Do I correctly understand that THE TEAM is not just ANY team in a general sense, but a team where the tie is a part of that team's uniform, and that's why THE TEAM? And THE COACH is because a coach of that kind of team (not just any possible team)... What do you think?
Thank you.

• VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I think "the" can only refer to the specific identified team they belong to, because the officer was only ever kept out of that one team.
    Once Holt said: "I've spent the last 12 years fighting for my first command." Do you mean that all those years he wanted this particular team? (even if it existed 12 years ago, I believe most officers of the team became the members only later). Or you mean that there's only one detective team in the NYPD (or in this precinct?)?...
    It appears to me you have understood the meaning perfectly.
    Sorry, not sure you mean post #1 or #2:oops:

BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    Vik, I was referring to your understanding. 'Teddy' posted maybe a second before me and I hadn't read his ideas.

< Previous | Next >