the tenets of a sporting discipline as it measures itself against fencing

Chinese
the context comes from Moncler Gamme Rouge Spring-Summer 2016 Show

Giambattista Valli has once again decided to reinvent the tenets of a sporting discipline as it measures itself against fencing. In doing so it teams the sport’s precision with decorative details that recall aristocratic elements combining baroque and rococo.

It is a sporting pursuit that features allegorical allure, but here it is given a feminine interpretation with highly contemporary garments featuring Moncler’s outstanding signature technological research into materials.

I don't understand "to reinvent the tenets of a sporting discipline as it measures itself against fencing" here. I guess it means "...to completely remake the tenet of a sporting style (of womenswear) as he makes the style comparable to fencing"... But I'm not sure...

• Copyright

American English
    Well, you're as close as you need to get – fashion writing is another language entirely, matched only by writing about wine.

I don't see how he's reinventing the beliefs or principles of fencing. And here he's reinventing the tenets of a sporting discipline (fencing) as it measure itself against fencing – how that is done is known only to the writer.

But you're right that the result of some of the fashion designs is similar to fencing outfits – and in case anyone doesn't get it, some of the models are carrying around foils and fencing masks. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
    Chinese
    Thank you copyright! :D:idea: Fashion writing always confuses me. But my girlfriend likes fashion, especially foreign fashion... So, I have to like it. :eek:

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I think your interpretation is good. As CR has alluded to, this kind of prose just piles on the clichés to the point where it is incomprehensible. But you've got the effect.