...the texts were composes of Buddhism, are no more spoken languages

twinklestar

Chinese
Hi,

I am not sure I understand the following words in blue. They are from a hindu website.

Could anyone please rephrase that?

Does that mean -there are also Chinese and Tibetan verions of Buddhist books, ....? But I don't understand why it is said they are not more spoken language.

Thus, Sankrit, Pali, Chinese, and Titbetan are presently considered the four major sacred languages of Buddhism. The Chinese and Tibetan versions of the languages in which the texts were composes of Buddhism, are no more spoken languages. Hence, the four sacred languages of Buddhism are no more spoken languages.

Thank you!

• waltern

English - USA
    The texts were written in older versions of Chinese and Tibetan - those versions are no longer spoken.

twinklestar

Chinese
    The texts were written in older versions of Chinese and Tibetan - those versions are no longer spoken.
    Thank you for your help.

Could you explain what "the versions are no longer spoken" mean?

They don't admit the versions in Chinese and Tibetan?:confused:

waltern

English - USA
    I am not sure how else to say it - they are old versions of the languages that were spoken many hundreds of years ago, but which are different than the languages spoken today.

For an English example, here is an example of an epic poem called "Beowulf" in "Old English" - an old version of English that is no longer spoken today - as you can see, it is very different from modern English.

Internet History Sourcebooks

< Previous | Next >