The thin blue line

< Previous | Next >
  • FENI

italy
    "The Thin Blue Line" is a colloquial term for police and police forces. The term derives from 'The Thin Red Line' and suggests that a thin line of police officers is all that prevents civilized society from descending into chaos. The term is sometimes used as a pejorative against police who cover up criminal activity of fellow police officers.

cavillous

Italian
    "The Thin Blue Line" is a colloquial term for police and police forces. The term derives from 'The Thin Red Line' and suggests that a thin line of police officers is all that prevents civilized society from descending into chaos. The term is sometimes used as a pejorative against police who cover up criminal activity of fellow police officers.
    Grazie ma io ho bisogno di un'espressione in italiano che sappia cogliere le diverse sfumature dell'originale.

orchidea

Italian, Italy
    Grazie ma io ho bisogno di un'espressione in italiano che sappia cogliere le diverse sfumature dell'originale.
    Uhm, è difficile rendere la sfumatura in italiano... Mi viene in mente solo qualcosa con la parola "divisa", ma non so...
    Puoi trascrivere anche un po' di contesto che precede questa frase?

cavillous

Italian
    Ecco il dialogo:

Officer Thompson: "So you're really turning me down. Boy, my self-esteem can't take this."
    Susan: "I'm sorry."
    Officer Thompson: "No, it's just now my ability to help those hostages has been compromised. Still, don't, don't blame yourself for what might happen."
    Susan: "Blame myself."
    Officer Thompson: "Yeah, well, it's just hard to rescue folks when you don't feel good about yourself. Ah, they'll probably all die anyway."
    Susan: "Okay, fine. I'll go out with you."
    Officer Thompson: "Great. I'll call you."
    Susan: "Now that you've gotten your date, you can tell me what that really means -- that 907a."
    Officer Thompson: "Someone's TV was playing too loud."
    Susan: "Well, thank God for the thin blue line."
    Officer Thompson: "I'll call you."

Potrei tradurre con Grazie a Dio c'è la Pubblica Sicurezza!

orchidea

Italian, Italy
    Potrei tradurre con Grazie a Dio c'è la Pubblica Sicurezza!
    Sì, ma tutto sommato va bene anche forze dell'ordine, secondo me.
    Credevo ci fosse qualche gioco di parole particolare nel testo, ma in realtà è solo ironica sul fatto che lui appartiene alle forze dell'ordine, no?

< Previous | Next >