''The time is coming'' Vs ''Almost time''

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know which of the expressions above sounds idiomatic in the context below. Please take a look.

"Jane, I must go there and buy the dress. The wedding is in four days. The time is coming. So, I have to be ready.''

Vs

"Jane, I must go there and buy the dress. The wedding is in four days. It is almost time. So, I have to be ready.''

The time is coming, it is almost time definitions: the time when something will happen is near, something is going to happen very soon.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
  • DocPenfro

English - British
    I think these uses would be typical:

"The time is coming when we will all be permanently connected to the internet." here "time" is used in the sense of a future era, i.e. a prolonged, but indefinite period.

"It is almost time to go to bed." Here, "time" means: a particular moment in the future.

So: "The wedding is in four days. It is almost time." would be suitable.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "Almost time" = the time is very near. "The time is coming" = at some unspecified time in the future (perhaps next week, perhaps 500 years from now).

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Parla, Would you use "the time is coming" in the contexts presented in the OP?
    No. "The time is coming when there will be a wedding" = Some day there will probably be a wedding, but who knows when? If the wedding is imminent and I need to buy a dress, then it's almost time. (Actually, we'd probably say, "Time's growing very short." Or, "We're cutting it awfully close.")

< Previous | Next >