The tomato is the most popular fruit in the world.

• tsoapm

🇬🇧 English (England)
    A knotty problem. In English, although everyone still thinks of the tomato as a vegetable, pretty much everyone also knows that technically it's a fruit :rolleyes:. I don't know how you see these things over here…

At least in Italy no-one argues about Jaffa Cakes. :)

entrapta

Italian
    And I wouldn't use "popolare" it's awful... it has taken hold in Italian too but in this case sounds really weird. "conosciuto", "diffuso", "amato" depending on the nuance are much better alternatives. And it's definitely not a fruit.

gandolfo

English-British
    A knotty problem. In English, although everyone still thinks of the tomato as a vegetable, pretty much everyone also knows that technically it's a fruit :rolleyes::tick::tick:. I don't know how you see these things over here…

At least in Italy no-one argues about Jaffa Cakes. :)

Hi TSoapm:)
    they are cake of course :eek: quite fancy one now:D

entrapta

Italian
    Well technically it IS a fruit (everything that develops from a flower and carries seeds is a fruit) but it is normally associated with vegetables. Of course salad is not a fruit, but what about string beans, or peppers? Those are also fruits.

irmar

Greek/Italian - bilingual
    And I wouldn't use "popolare" it's awful... it has taken hold in Italian too but in this case sounds really weird. "conosciuto", "diffuso", "amato" depending on the nuance are much better alternatives. And it's definitely not a fruit.
    Finalmente qualcuno che lo dice. Stavo cominciando a perdere ogni speranza.