the top-line numbers

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
What does "the top-line numbers" mean? Supposed that we give each line of a poem a number, then those numbers corresponding to the first,second and third lines are top-line numbers?

An ambitious effort to replicate 100 research findings in psychology ended last week — and the data look worrying. Results posted online on 24 April, which have not yet been peer-reviewed, suggest that key findings from only 39 of the published studies could be reproduced.

But the situation is more nuanced than the top-line numbers suggest (See graphic, 'Reliability test'). Of the 61 non-replicated studies, scientists classed 24 as producing findings at least “moderately similar” to those of the original experiments, even though they did not meet pre-established criteria, such as statistical significance, that would count as a successful replication.

Source: nature First results from psychology’s largest reproducibility test

• Chez

English English
    Your idea about lines in poetry doesn't really work. We wouldn't generally talk about poetry like that.

In results of any kind, the top line figures are the 'headlines' I.e. The overall results but without any detail which may be more nuanced.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Sorry, the question remains. Because there are no numbers in headlines. The headlines of the article is:

First results from psychology’s largest reproducibility test
    Crowd-sourced effort raises nuanced questions about what counts as replication.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Sorry, the question remains. Because there are no numbers in headlines. The headlines of the article is:
    The full sentence is:
    But the situation is more nuanced than the top-line numbers suggest (See graphic, 'Reliability test').

So, to me, the top-line numbers are those shown on the top line of the graphic, which are NO:61, YES:39. :)

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Thank you.:)

The 'top line' is NOT the headline of the article.

But, "the top line of the graphic" implies there are middle line and bottom line. Where are they?

heypresto

English - England
    OK, I concede that the numbers are not in the headline of the article, but they are in the headline of the graphic in the panel. 'Top line' doesn't, to me, necessarily imply middle or bottom lines - it just means 'brief summary of the results shown in the graphic'.

Maybe 'top line' is a jargon term used in printing/publishing? Whatever, I don't think we disagree about what the numbers are, and that there is more to them than it appears from this brief summary.

kentix

English - U.S.
    "Top line" is semi-figurative (or more).

It means the most general numbers, the ones that summarize the big picture.

You can imagine if you were reading a report on the findings, wherever that report appears (in a popular publication or a scientific document), the first (top of the page, most general) numbers mentioned will be the overall result of 39 to 61.

It's only after you are given those numbers that the finer details and nuances of the study, including other numbers, and possible mitigating factors, will be discussed farther down (since we write left to right, top to bottom).

It's not a direct reference to any specific graphic or headline or printing format. It's a reference to an idea.

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    The top line number (or top line numbers) is whatever is being given most prominence, and I suspect derives from company accounts where the number literally on the top line is sales revenue.

Here, as heypresto says, the top line numbers are 100 and 39. In this case, they make no sense without describing the relationship between them, so "the top line numbers" is clearly meant to be understood as "39 out of 100".

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The top line number (or top line numbers) is whatever is being given most prominence, and I suspect derives from company accounts where the number literally on the top line is sales revenue.

Here, as heypresto says, the top line numbers are 100 and 39. In this case, they make no sense without describing the relationship between them, so "the top line numbers" is clearly meant to be understood as "39 out of 100".
    :thumbsup: and with the other comments
    It s closely related to the concept of the "bottom line"
    1. the last line of a financial statement that shows the net profit or loss of a company or organization
    2. the final outcome of a process, discussion, etc
    Top line : We achieved a billion in sales this year!
    Financial details of costs, debt payments, other expenses.
    Bottom line: we had a net profit of only a million :(

The first numbers are referred to as the "top line". Then follows the discussion of the details of how those numbers are broken down (pay attention to the "identical, very similar, slightly similar" options in the graphic) and describing these as the nuances. The "bottom line" in the articles after the discussion says "More work must be done" etc.

< Previous | Next >