The train was about an hour late.

sinukg

Malayalam
Hi everyone,

I heard in a video that the sentence "The train was late about an hour." is incorrect and should be corrected as "The train was about an hour late." But I think that both sentences are OK. And I also think that the sentence "The train was late for about an hour." is also OK. I'd like to have your say on this.

• Myridon

English - US
    The train was late about an hour. :cross:
    The train was late by about an hour. :tick:
    The train was late for about an hour. :cross: with the meaning you intend.

The train was supposed to arrive at 6, but at 2, they announced that the train wouldn't arrive until 7. At 3, they announced that the train would arrive at 6 after all. The train was late for about an hour. (There was an hour between 2 and 3 when the board said "LATE" instead of "ON TIME".)

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    I heard in a video that the sentence "The train was late about an hour." is incorrect and should be corrected as "The train was about an hour late." But I think that both sentences are OK. And I also think that the sentence "The train was late for about an hour." is also OK. I'd like to have your say on this.
    I agree with the video.

Meaning: the train arrived 1 hour later than scheduled:
    - The train was late about an hour. :cross:
    - The train was about an hour late. :tick:
    - The train was late for about an hour. :cross:

Consider the sentences without "about", which is optional:
    - The train was late an hour. :cross:
    - The train was an hour late. :tick:
    - The train was late for an hour. :cross:

sinukg

Malayalam
    The train was late about an hour. :cross:
    The train was late by about an hour. :tick:
    The train was late for about an hour. :cross: with the meaning you intend.

The train was supposed to arrive at 6, but at 2, they announced that the train wouldn't arrive until 7. At 3, they announced that the train would arrive at 6 after all. The train was late for about an hour. (There was an hour between 2 and 3 when the board said "LATE" instead of "ON TIME".)
    So we can say "The train was about an hour late."?