(the) transfer of power from

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Their leader, Vladimir Lenin, recently returned from 16 years in exile, bitterly opposed the 'imperialist war'. He also demanded the immediate redistribution of land from rich landowners to peasants; and the transfer of power from the 'bourgeois' Provisional Government to the people's Soviets, or councils, that were springing up across Russia.
Epic History: The Russian Revolution, YouTube video

I think the definite article could easily be omitted without changing the meaning of the sentence or making it incorrect. Do you agree? Thank you.

• lingobingo

English - England
    It could, in theory. It could also be replaced by the indefinite article. But the sentence is better as it stands.

lingobingo

English - England
    He also demanded (a) and (b), in this case "the a" and "the b". To demand "the a" and "b" is not so good in terms of syntax.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Ah, I see.
    So, since "redistribution" acts here in the same way as "transfer", the following options would all be good in the OP, is it right?:)
    ... demanded the immediate redistribution of land from rich landowners to peasants; and the transfer of power from ...
    ... demanded immediate redistribution of land from rich landowners to peasants; and transfer of power from ...
    ... demanded an immediate redistribution of land from rich landowners to peasants; and a transfer of power from ...

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think the examples with "a" and "the" both sound more idiomatic than the example without articles.

< Previous | Next >