The trench coat//The military raincoat


The trench coat is worth buying because it is on sale.

Does "the trench coat" refer to "the military raincoat" or something else? Thanks.
  • cycloneviv

    Senior Member
    English - Australia
    Hi jesusguime,

    I take it you found that definition in the dictionary? It is correct, basically. A trench coat is a kind of military-style raincoat or light overcoat. You can find "trench coat" in the Word Reference dictionary.


    Senior Member
    English - Australia
    Yes, those are trench coats. They are military-style coats, not military coats as such. The cut/style of the coat is similar to that of military coats. Did the dictionary you looked in define it as a military coat? And have you had a look at the definition in the Word Reference dictionary?
    < Previous | Next >