(the) truth will conquer all

< Previous | Next >

philax

English - UK/US
Greetings all.

I'd like to say veritas vincit omnia (the emphasis on truth), but as a future event rather than the always/now sense I take from the present-tense form. Would verum vinces omnes be correct, or is there a better phrase in more accurate Latin?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

• Agró

Spanish-Navarre
    Veritas vincet omnia.
    Veritas omnia vincet.

Verum
    is accusative singular masculine and nominative and accusative singular neuter of adj. verus, -a, -um (true).
    Vinces is 2nd person singular of the future tense.
    Omnes
    is nominative and accusative plural masculine and feminine.

bearded

Please note that omnes corresponds to 'all' = everybody, and omnia corresponds to 'all' = everything. You can choose according to your intended meaning.
    And in my opinion you can also choose between verum (=what is true) and veritas (=truth).
    Example: Verum/veritas omnia vincet (= the truth will conquer everything, or: will prevail over everything) - 'vincet' is future 3rd person.
    The Lat. verb vinco can mean both 'to defeat' or 'to prevail'.

Scholiast

saluete omnes

Yes, hard to decide. But to me the epigrammatic verum omnia vincit wins. This is not from superior Latin scholarship, just from the 'feel' of the thing: it looks like something aiming at proverbial or tattoo-ish style. Brevity always counts in Latin. 'Οld-fashioned᾽ scholars like me may not always be respected, but we retain our odd virtues.

Σ

Last edited:

philax

English - UK/US
    That undoubtedly is the closest to the typical Latin proverb one can get.
    Not sure that's what the OP actually wishes to say (further explanations needed). :)
    :)
    I'm trying to express a difference between the general-case statement, which I agree feels best as verum omnia vincit, and something a little more future-specific, as in not yet but eventually for sure. "The truth may be facing a tough time at the moment, but it will win through in the end." From the much-appreciated input here, it seems that the optimal thing to do without fouling up the grammar is just to change vincit to vincet. Yes? Brevity definitely counts.

Scholiast

ad omnes amicos, saluete!

verum intendum sperandum?

I am finding the -ndum repeteated endings clumsy. How about clausula omnia vincit? I'm guessing you are looking for a short Latin phrase? It does not quite ping yet. I'm going to be better in the morning.

Σ

< Previous | Next >