The turner is going to machine 5 mm of the surface?

< Previous | Next >

Baltic Sea

Banned
Polish
Hello again!

Is the sentence "The turner is going to machine 5 mm of the surface" acceptable to and understood by you?

I have "made up" the verb 'machine off' by myself. It means "skim" or "slightly grind something off something".

Thank you. Do you agree? I made up the sentences.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I have "made up" the verb 'machine off*' by myself.

No, English speakers made it up years ago! :D It's a perfectly good verb with a specific meaning. But it usually involves cutting/skimming, rather than grinding (which is often imprecise).

I'm not too sure about "the turner" though - what do you mean by that? A lathe, the lathe operator, a milling machine or a miller?

*then be careful you don't use "of" as instead of "off" (Typo in second line)

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    I was joking about being the inventor of the verb 'machine off'. I completely agree that the English were the first to make it up. By the turner I mean the lathe operator. Thank you for pointing the typo out to me.

sdgraham

USA English
    I worked may way through the university by building research equipment in a machine shop and never heard a person using a lathe referred to as a "turner." We used "lathe operator" to be specific, or just "machinist," generically.

I'm assuming that you mean a lathe is involved here because you say "turner." If so, we would not have used "machine off." We'd just say "remove."

If you're not talking about a lathe, the sentence becomes stranger still.

Edit: "Machining" is to use a cutting tool. It's not grinding, i.e. using an abusive device.

< Previous | Next >