The turning point + to

< Previous | Next >

nagomi

Korean
"SHUGERMAN: And that is part of the turning point in American history to people seeing career prosecutors making their name as being tough on crime, often using ethnicity and race to crack down on marginalized groups, becoming famous, and then being able to run for president, vice president or even becoming chief justice. "

Does "the turning point" goes well with "to"? I assume "from" might have been implictly used here to match with "to" what do you think?

source: Mass Incarceration

• Chez

English English
    I take it to mean: And this is part of the turning point in American history: how we (people) now see career prosecutors making their name... etc.

Seeing how some prosecutors behave now is part of the turning point of Americna history. I don't know exactly what he means by this as I'd need to know more about the context.

It is not good English, but I imagine it may be speech (as it is in inverted commas), and things sometimes come out a bit confused in spontaneous speech.

The Newt

English - US
    I interpret it as meaning "that is part of the pivot in American history towards having career prosecutors..." The passage is a bit confusing.

nagomi

Korean
    It seems to be that it has a bit of error since it was an spontaneous speech in an interview rather than was prepared. So, "to" is not usually used that way along with "the turning point", I guess? What was it supposed to be then?

< Previous | Next >