The twig rose, penetrating the soil

< Previous | Next >

Dear life

India- Bengali
The twig rose, penetrating the soil/ erupting/ digging though the soil.
Is it a good style sentence?
If it's not, is there any good & natural way expressing the idea (obviously it has to include the idea of penetrating soil)
Could you please suggest??

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us some context, Dear life. In what situation would you say this? Why is the twig under the soil? What is causing it to rise?

Dear life

India- Bengali
    Please give us some context, Dear life. In what situation would you say this? Why is the twig under the soil? What is causing it to rise?
    It's a bit in a literary sense-
    The seed has remained dormant and sleepy beneath the earth, now that the spring is around the corner, it's twig is about to rise, penetrating the soil/ digging/ erupting through the soil. The potency of the little green twig is to be felt...
    Something like this...
    Could you please suggest?

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    Penetrate the soil' sounds unnatural here. Is your objective to use that in a sentence? You have not given us context. There is a reason the rules ask for it!

A rare time I can think of using that phrase would be if the ground was frozen and I broke it with a pickaxe. Rain could also penetrate soil.

Barque

Tamil
    it's twig is about to rise, penetrating the soil/ digging/ erupting through the soil.
    You're talking about something coming out of the soil. "Penetrating" doesn't convey that meaning. Neither does "digging" which usually refers to a downward movement.

Dear life

India- Bengali
    You're talking about something coming out of the soil. "Penetrating" doesn't convey that meaning. Neither does "digging" which usually refers to a downward movement.
    Penetrate" generally means forcing your way into something.
    Yes, yup! I absolutely mean it :). The little seedling with hope, life and vigour forces her way through soil (into the worldof light from its dormant bed).

Would it be then ok to use penetrate? All I mean to indicate the power and vigour of the little new born seedling, potent enough to make her own way.
    P.S. the sense is outright literary.:)

cando

English - British
    Perhaps "pierces" is better than "penetrates". As others have said, "penetrates" could sound like it is burying itself down into the soil rather than breaking out upwards. Also, be aware that "penetrates" can have sexual connotations, which is fine if that is what you intend. Using "penetrates" could be used but would be clearer if you didn't use the word "twig", which is a small and often dry outgrowth on the end of a fully mature branch. I think you mean "shoot", which is the young, green growth rising from a new seed.

Barque

Tamil
    I see that one of the meanings of "twig" in the WR dictionary is the shoot of a plant but it's more commonly used with these other meanings:

a small offshoot from a branch or stem.
    a small, dry, woody piece fallen from a branch: a fire of twigs.

cando

English - British
    I see that one of the meanings of "twig" in the WR dictionary is the shoot of a plant but it's more commonly used with these other meanings:

a small offshoot from a branch or stem.
    a small, dry, woody piece fallen from a branch: a fire of twigs.
    Yes, but an offshoot is not a new shoot. A seedling does not have an established branch or stem

Barque

Tamil
    Yes, I agree. That's why I said "but it's more commonly used" with those two meanings, and emphasised "off" in "offshoot". I was trying to reinforce what you said:
    the word "twig", which is a small and often dry outgrowth on the end of a fully mature branch. I think you mean "shoot", which is the young, green growth rising from a new seed.

< Previous | Next >