the twisting fingers of

< Previous | Next >

calzetin

Senior Member
Spain / Spanish
Cómo lo traduciríais? Lo he visto en "the twisting fingers of fear" y "the twisting fingers of darkness".
Supongo que tiene sentido negativo, pero no lo había visto antes.
A pesar de ser Navidad a lo mejor alguien me puede decir si hay alguna frase hecha en castellano para esto...

Gracias :)
(y feliz Navidad, claro)
Calzetin
 
  • Artrella

    Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    calzetin said:
    Cómo lo traduciríais? Lo he visto en "the twisting fingers of fear" y "the twisting fingers of darkness".
    Supongo que tiene sentido negativo, pero no lo había visto antes.
    A pesar de ser Navidad a lo mejor alguien me puede decir si hay alguna frase hecha en castellano para esto...

    Gracias :)
    (y feliz Navidad, claro)
    Calzetin


    Ho Ho Hola!! Calzetín!!

    Esto lo sacaste de una canción??? Yo lo ví como "trapped within the fingers of fear" y me parece que quiere decir como que está atrapado entr los retorcidos dedos del miedo".........pero.........who knows???


    Art
     

    Edwin

    Senior Member
    USA / Native Language: English
    Artrella said:
    está atrapado entr los retorcidos dedos del miedo
    The expression ''twisting fingers...'' is not a common expression--at least I don't recall ever having heard it. It sounds like something that might be traced back to Shakespeare or the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam ---well that was ''the moving finger'' :) . But I haven't been able to find the origin--if there is one.

    It seems purely a poetic image invented by the author and likely has no corresponding Spanish phrase. I imagine Artrella's translation is possibly as good as one is likely to find. Although ''retorcidos dedos'' may be closer to ''twisted fingers'' than ''twisting fingers''. The latter implies that the fingers are in motion and sounds much less negative to me than ''twisted''. The word ''twisted'' recalls the notion of a ''twisted mind'' which has the conotation of ''perverted mind''---whereas ''twisting'' has no such implication.

    I don't think ''twisting fingers'' is necessarily negative. For example, I found this little verse on the web:

    Whispers floating in the air
    Twisting fingers in your hair
    I love you more than I can say.

    Twisting fingers can denote many different things--probably the same in Spanish as in English.
     

    Artrella

    Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Edwin said:
    The expression ''twisting fingers...'' is not a common expression--at least I don't recall ever having heard it. It sounds like something that might be traced back to Shakespeare or the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam ---well that was ''the moving finger'' :) . But I haven't been able to find the origin--if there is one.

    It seems purely a poetic image invented by the author and likely has no corresponding Spanish phrase. I imagine Artrella's translation is possibly as good as one is likely to find. Although ''retorcidos dedos'' may be closer to ''twisted fingers'' than ''twisting fingers''. The latter implies that the fingers are in motion and sounds much less negative to me than ''twisted''. The word ''twisted'' recalls the notion of a ''twisted mind'' which has the conotation of ''perverted mind''---whereas ''twisting'' has no such implication.

    I don't think ''twisting fingers'' is necessarily negative. For example, I found this little verse on the web:

    Whispers floating in the air
    Twisting fingers in your hair
    I love you more than I can say.

    Twisting fingers can denote many different things--probably the same in Spanish as in English.


    :eek: Oh! Oh! twisted mind...??? Wow!!!
    Hi Edwin! so what would "twisting fingers" translation, if not "retorcidos"?
    In that song I found on the net, well maybe it was negative. Maybe the connotation was some "perverted" but....
    :eek: :cool: ;)
     

    Edwin

    Senior Member
    USA / Native Language: English
    Artrella said:
    :eek: Oh! Oh! twisted mind...??? Wow!!!
    Hi Edwin! so what would "twisting fingers" translation, if not "retorcidos"?
    No tengo ninguna idea. Es una expresión ''poética''.

    Artrella said:
    In that song I found on the net, well maybe it was negative. Maybe the connotation was some "perverted" but....
    Whether positive or negative, I think, depends on the surrounding words.

    Twisting fingers of fear is very gloomy.

    Twisting fingers in your hair is more pleasant to contemplate.
     

    Artrella

    Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Edwin said:
    No tengo ninguna idea. Es una expresión ''poética''.



    Whether positive or negative, I think, depends on the surrounding words.

    Twisting fingers of fear is very gloomy.

    Twisting fingers in your hair is more pleasant to contemplate.


    Yes, Edwin "twisting fingers in your hair" is niiiiice!!!

    Look here are the lyrics of the song I found.








    nothings changed
    the senates still corrupt
    & the emporer remains insane

    and everyday
    is a new strain of slaughter

    supply lines are less protected
    evil on all sides

    eye can smell the death on your flesh
    -- creeping in

    trapped within the twisting fingers of fear
    and all eye see is ewe

    that face
    those eyes

    burning like leprosy

    eye can see u there
    poisoning the air

    prostituting Nationalism

    and eye want to attack
    to rip out your heart and lay your flat on your back

    and vomit a world of agony and truth
    into your throbbing illness of memory

    ... and hate guides our way

    eye long for the icy slap of a belt across my back
    for the acceptance of death and blind cave war

    the giving sleep of depression
    the sweet elucidation of savage, meaningless aggression

    chiseled in the meaty forearms of Mother Jupiter and his slave disciples

    in the harem tents - outside
    just beyond the edges - eye ride

    a cycloptic mare in the fires of imagination

    feeding my disease
    a river of plagues

    eye need something to remind me eye am still sinning
    that pain in important
    that wurdz matter
    that healing in possible

    that eye am not alone ... in this

    - guard the houses
    - triple the watch
    - maidens, dig up your sorcery
    - sirens, sharpen your rocks

    ... ewe will eat my pain again

    whatever u need
    unite messiah ME

    Otep Lyrics



    This song is not so positive...is it???

    Art :) :( :)
     

    lauranazario

    Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    Ah... qué bueno sería comenzar cada pregunta desde el principio, ¿verdad? ;)

    Gracias por proveer el contexto, o sea, la letra de la canción.
    Ahora podemos ver que la traducción correcta de la frase en cuestión:
    trapped within the twisting fingers of fear = atrapado en las garras del miedo

    Lo de 'twisting fingers' es una imagen que se reproduce (en español) por 'estar en las garras de'... no hace falta utilizar 'retorcido'. Es la traducción de una imagen por otra.

    Al menos, así lo "veo" yo. :D

    Saludos,
    LN
     

    Artrella

    Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    lauranazario said:
    Ah... qué bueno sería comenzar cada pregunta desde el principio, ¿verdad? ;)

    Gracias por proveer el contexto, o sea, la letra de la canción.
    Ahora podemos ver que la traducción correcta de la frase en cuestión:
    trapped within the twisting fingers of fear = atrapado en las garras del miedo

    Lo de 'twisting fingers' es una imagen que se reproduce (en español) por 'estar en las garras de'... no hace falta utilizar 'retorcido'. Es la traducción de una imagen por otra.

    Al menos, así lo "veo" yo. :D

    Saludos,
    LN


    Al fin!!! Gracias Laura!!! Las garras..... :eek: Ojo! no sé si ésta es la canción de la cual Calzetin sacó estas frases. Esta canción la encontré yo...por lo menos así lo veo yo!!! :p


    Horrible!!! ja ja ja ja !!!


    Art :) ;) :p
     

    lauranazario

    Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    calzetin said:
    Claro! Las garras!
    ...cuando te ayudan todo parece tan fácil (pero no lo es)

    Gracias Laura :)
    Calzetín
    Por nada... para eso estamos siempre... ¡para ayudarnos! :)

    Hace unos días me tomé una sidra asturiana. Acá es sumamente popular.
    Y ahora que has regresado a casa... ¡salud, Calcetín!

    Saludos,
    LN
     

    Edwin

    Senior Member
    USA / Native Language: English
    calzetin said:
    Look both sides before crossing the road
    It should be "both ways'', not ''both sides''.

    Y comó se dice eso en castellano.

    Debe ser ''both ways'', no ''both sides''.

    o mejor:

    Debe ser ''both ways'', ''both sides'' no.

    The idea is to look up and down the road to see if any cars are coming. Looking at the ''sides'' of the road doesn't help to see if it is safe to cross. :)
     

    sanchopanza

    Member
    USA English
    "Look both sides" is not English
    "Look both ways" (i.e. in both directions) is the standard English equivalent.
    I assume that the Spanish must be, "Mira por los dos lados" is that correct?
    Also, I like "atrpado en las garras" but don't know if it's the correct image (maybe yes, maybe no). Twisting ifngers in te hair is literal. Twisting fingers of fear or darkness is obviously a poetic image. To twist can also be torcer or girar. One thing about poetry. If you read an American poem in an American classroom, 30 different listeners would give you 30 different interpretations. If you read Isabel Allende, in Spanish and English, (Cuentos de Eva Luna, a collection or short stories) you can compare some wonderful translations of abstract ideas.)
     

    calzetin

    Senior Member
    Spain / Spanish
    Edwin said:
    It should be "both ways'', not ''both sides''.

    Y comó se dice eso en castellano.

    Debe ser ''both ways'', no ''both sides''.

    o mejor:

    Debe ser ''both ways'', ''both sides'' no.

    The idea is to look up and down the road to see if any cars are coming. Looking at the ''sides'' of the road doesn't help to see if it is safe to cross. :)
    La primera opción que das suena bien:
    Debería ser "both ways", no "both sides"

    :eek: ...y ahora voy a cambiar mi signature

    En castellano se puede decir "Mira a ambos lados de la calle/carretera antes de cruzar"

    Calzetin
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top