the U.S. should preemptively its own clean energy independence

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Where is the verb in the sentence "the U.S. should preemptively its own clean energy independence"? Should it be "the U.S. should obtain preemptively its own clean energy independence"?

In the clean energy economy of the future, critical minerals will be just as essential—and geopolitical—as oil is today. To avoid making the same mistake twice, the U.S. should preemptively its own clean energy independence.

-Scientific American

Source

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I agree with sdg - Engish synonyms are not always how they might seem :) Obtain doesn't fit there.

From WRF:

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

obtain /əbˈteɪn/vb
    1. (transitive) to gain possession of; acquire; get
    2. (intransitive) to be customary, valid, or accepted: a new law obtains in this case

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I'm seeing that my approval of "obtain" was premature (and maybe my "mental ear" confused it with "attain").
    The most frequent appropriate verbs given by the Ngram Viewer
    are "gain", "establish", and "secure".
    And those from the Corpus of Contemporary American English
    are "gain" (2 instances), "secure" (2), "win" (1), "seek" (1), "obtain" (yes, 1), and "establish" (1).

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Informative.

I use "to * independence" to search in Ngram. The results (about verbs) are (listed in use frequency order):
    (1) achieve, (2) gain, (3) grant, (4) secure.

The verb "attain" is not listed by Ngram.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Informative.

I use "to * independence" to search in Ngram. The results (about verbs) are (listed in use frequency order):
    (1) achieve, (2) gain, (3) grant, (4) secure.

The verb "attain" is not listed by Ngram.
    The * only creates a top 10 list.
    If you limit it to the sense of "gain" (throw out maintain, grant etc), then it's there :D

< Previous | Next >