the United Nations Security Council approved its strictest..

chjvu

Vietnamese - UK English (bilingual)
On 12 June 2009, the United Nations Security Council approved its strictest economic sanctions to date against North Korea in response to a series of provocative acts, including the detonation of a nuclear device.

2 questions i have :

1. "including the detonation of nuclear device" clearly is complementary to Provocative acts. But could we consider it complementary to the other two red-highlighted subjects since i find it persuasive for the United Nations Security Council to take into account/include that action for the approval of economic sanctions

2. Could we use Sanctions "towards/for" in this context:
the UN impose sanctions towards North Korea for its series of provocative acts?

• Szkot

UK English
    1 No. As you say, including is grammatically related to acts.
    2 Sanctions can be imposed on a country, but not towards or for.

chjvu

If you type in " Sanctions for or towards on google" there would be series of results. Does it mean they are all grammatically incorrect?

Szkot

UK English
    The phrase 'sanctions toward(s)' is unusual compared to on or against, as the Google counts show.

Sanctions for refers to the action that the sanctions aim to punish. You could say sanctions on /against North Korea for setting off a nuclear device.

chjvu

That's one possibility though.
    You could understand that this sanctions could be subjected to a certain object
    Here's an example
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3846821,00.html

And however, if you arrange the sentence in this order:
    "The UN includes the detonation by Korea to approve its strictest sanctions against this nation"

To my knowledge, i don't see why this structure wouldn't be valid.

Szkot

UK English
    It is not correct to say 'impose sanctions for a country'. Although the phrase 'sanctions for a country' is sometimes used, it is less common than sanctions against or on.

I do not think your sentence "The UN includes the detonation by Korea to approve its strictest sanctions against this nation" is correct English. The sentence you started with is fine.

< Previous | Next >