the usage of martyrdom in a sentence.

< Previous | Next >

cfu507

Hebrew
Hi, I don't know if I used this word correct in my sentence:

They think that 72 virgin beautiful girls are waiting for them in heaven when they die martyrdom.

• Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Hello cfu,

Perhaps "martyr" (someone who dies for the sake of his religion) is a more apt choice of words:
    They think that 72 beautiful virgin girls are waiting for them in heaven when they die martyrs.

cfu507

Hebrew
    Hello cfu,

Perhaps "martyr" (someone who dies for the sake of his religion) is a more apt choice of words:
    They think that 72 beautiful virgin girls are waiting for them in heaven when they die martyrs.
    Martyr is something else. When the inquisition told the Jews to Christianize themselves or to die, some of them choose to die. Martyr is one who chooses to die or be put to death rather than renounce his faith

When a Shahid (شهيد) choose to blow himself on the name of God he is not a martyr (I think).

Thanks for the correction after the number 72.

Mod: sorry for the Arabic letters.

cfu507

Hebrew
    se16teddy, I don't understand what you are trying to say. Can you please explain me again what you mean? Did I mislead you guys by using "they"?

I also thought about it agin. It would be more politically correct if I wrote, "they belive".

Loob

English UK
    Cfu, I'm confused, too. Are you saying that "martyrdom" is something different from "being a martyr"?

How do you want to use the word "martyrdom"?

cfu507

Hebrew
    My apology, now I understand you. Sorry.

Is there another word to describe the death of Shahids?
    Maybe my dictionary is wrong and martyr is for everyone who dies on the name of his God, no matter what the reason is.

Loob

English UK
    I understand too, now, cfu:)

Both martyr and martyrdom can imply "dying because of refusal to renounce a religion".

But they can both also mean "dying for the sake of religion"; or even more broadly "dying for the sake of principles" (including non-religious principles).

PS: by the way, I'd say 72 beautiful virgins rather than 72 beautiful virgin girls.

snorklebum

Mexico English
    Though the derivation is from religion, "martyrdom" has wider meaning for anyone who accepts death for belief or is put to death for belief.

"His programs are unavailable now, martyred to his trust in the success of the Amiga computer."

"She accepted their ridicule like a martyr, proud of her old-fashioned sexual values."

"His career was ruined, himself a martyr to the cause of the Gold Standard"

se16teddy

English - England
    se16teddy, I don't understand what you are trying to say. Can you please explain me again what you mean? Did I mislead you guys by using "they"?
    I mean that the sentence can be analysed as an example of indirect speech.
    They think to themselves '72 beautiful virgins are waiting for me in heaven when I die a martyr's death'.
    can be restated in indirect speech
    They think that 72 beautiful virgins are waiting for them in heaven when they die a martyr's death.
    If you disagree with their interpretation of the term martyr, that doesn't make the sentence ungrammatical.

icecreamsoldier

New Zealand English
    If you want to use the word "martyrdom" you could say something like:
    "They think that their martyrdom will guarantee them entry into Paradise, where 72 beautiful virgins await them."

Loob

English UK
    Teddy's joking, cfu...

I suggested you replace "72 beautiful virgin girls" with "72 beautiful virgins".

He's saying that "72 beautiful virgins" could mean "72 beautiful but extremely old virgins".

It wouldn't mean that usually... but technically he's right!:)

< Previous | Next >