the usage of "the"

giantub

Turkish
Dear All,

I need to write what some photos represent for a catalog in English. For instance, there is a photo showing a painting studio. Should I write "The painting studio" or "Painting studio" under the photo.

Thank you all,

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Is it simply an example of a painting studio, or is it a particular or specific painting studio?

se16teddy

English - England
    Yes, do you wish to convey the idea that this is a specific painting studio? For example one that the writer or reader knows, or one belonging to a person, building or institution that the writer or reader knows? Or is it an unidentified painting studio?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    How many painting studios are there at your university?

If there is only one it is 'The Painting Studio'.
    If there are two or more It is 'A Painting Studio'.

AliBadass

persian
    There is a clan (big family) in our province named Bani Asad; we're going to talk about its genealogy. Which one of the titles below would be correct to use?

A: The genealogy of the Bani Asad clan
    B: Genealogy of Bani Asad clan

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    T And what if I'm going to continue it like this: The genealogy of the Bani Asad clan according to the historical documents. Is it (the) needed before historical documents?
    Only if they are specific documents. You need to provide more context for us to say for sure whether you need the article.

< Previous | Next >