The use o "W" and "WE" when the next word begins with "W".

Stardusd

Portuguese-BRAZIL
I am still wondering why some people write W - and-WE.
For ex:
W Warszawie, W wyrazie and : We wrześniu, We Włoszech ( Italy)

I think that I have written ( Włoszech correctly).

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • dreamlike

Polish
    Hi Stardusd :)

There's a simple rule governing the use of W and WE - and, of course, there are some exceptions to the rule.

Usually, we use "we" with words beginning with "w" or "f", followed by one more consonant.
    WE Wrocławiu, WE Włoszech, WE Francji, WE wrześniu

Words starting with letters other than "w" or "f" are usually preceded by W.
    W Szwecji, W Norwegii, W Krakowie, W Poznaniu

As for the exceptions, we say WE Lwowie, although the word begins with "L". Another deviation from the rule I can think of is WE mgle.

POLSKAdoBOJU

Canadian English, Polish
    When in doubt, consult the authority, PWN: http://poradnia.pwn.pl/lista.php?id=10544

Basically the simplest rule is that we add -e when the following word begins with a consonant cluster that's hard to pronounce.
    This applies to all prepositions (zaimki) ending in a consonant: bez(e), przed(e), z(e), pod(e), nad(e), etc.
    Sometimes both forms are used ex: w czwartek vs. we czwartek, w mszy vs. we mszy
    Anytime a preposition precedes the pronoun ja (which takes the form mn-) you must add the -e, ex: ze mną, ode mnie, beze mnie, przede mną, etc.
    Finally sometimes it is purely based on historical conventions and you just have to memorize it. ex: we Lwowie but w Lwówku Sląskim

At the end of the day whether you add -e or not is not a big deal. Learning Polish can be difficult and this particular issue is at the low end of the totem pole.

< Previous | Next >