the use of disadvantage

brian&me

Chinese - China
I have been very busy since I became a volunteer for the Riding for the Disabled Association. Every Saturday, I help to get the horses ready for the disabled riders. Many more disabled people want to ride horses than you could imagine. It’s a disadvantage that I don’t know how to ride--I’d love to get on long rides with the riders--but I’ll learn soon enough.

Those sentences are taken from a test paper.
I wonder if ‘disadvantage’ can be used in the structure of ‘It’s a disadvantage that...’.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
  • Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Yes, I'd say that use of disadvantage was idiomatic.

There are one or two other things in the sentences which are not, and a misprint at the start of the third sentence.

Remember that we don't proofread, so I'm not supposed to indicate what the errors are, unless you ask specifically about them.

The general tone of the piece is excellent, Brian&me.

brian&me

Chinese - China
    Yes, I'd say that use of disadvantage was idiomatic.

There are one or two other things in the sentences which are not, and a misprint at the start of the third sentence.

Remember that we don't proofread, so I'm not supposed to indicate what the errors are, unless you ask specifically about them.

The general tone of the piece is excellent, Brian&me.
    Thanks, Thomas.

1. Do you mean the third sentence should be changed to ‘There are more disabled people who want to ride horses than you can imagine’?

2. Do you mean ‘I’ll learn soon enough’ should be changed to ‘I’ll learn enough soon’?

Thanks again.

heypresto

English - England
    1. You could change the third sentence to your suggested sentence, and it would be correct, but you could also correct the misspelling/typo in the original sentence.

2. No. 'I'll learn soon enough' is correct.

brian&me

Chinese - China
    1. You could change the third sentence to your suggested sentence, and it would be correct, but you could also correct the misspelling/typo in the original sentence.

2. No. 'I'll learn soon enough' is correct.
    Thanks, guys.

May be I should change ‘get on long rides’ to ‘go on long rides’, and change ‘but I’ll learn soon enough’ to ‘ and I’ll learn soon enough’.

Thanks again.

brian&me

Chinese - China
    Thomas said ‘There are one or two other things in the sentences which are not, and a misprint at the start of the third sentence.’

I have corrected the misprint and pointed out one error : ‘get on long rides’, but I can’t find the other error. Would you please be kind enough to tell me what it is?

Thanks very much.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    You need the 'but' at the end; the second sentence is a concession.

I'd probably prefer 'I help get the horses ready' and drop that to.

Remember that I said the general tone was excellent.

brian&me

Chinese - China
    You need the 'but' at the end; the second sentence is a concession.

I'd probably prefer 'I help get the horses ready' and drop that to.

Remember that I said the general tone was excellent.
    Thanks again, Thomas.

I’d like to make sure if the original sentence ‘Many more disabled people want to ride horses than you could imagine’ is OK in the context.

Many thanks.

< Previous | Next >