The vacuum bag is hot today!

< Previous | Next >

K-Young

Japanese
This is from Gary Larson.
A deer dresses like a hunter and talks to a hunter. "Howdy! Any luck? Howdy! The vacuum bag is hot today! Howdy!"
The captions says "When animal mimicry breaks down."

The vacuum bag is hot today! Is this another expression of "It's hot today."? Is it used in the western part of the US or something? ( "Howdy" is used.)

• srk

English - US
    That's one of my favorite cartoons.

"The vacuum bag is hot today!" doesn't mean anything anywhere. The deer is trying to pretend that he is human and doing a very bad job of it. He's about to get shot.

pops91710

English, AE
    That's one of my favorite cartoons.

"The vacuum bag is hot today!" doesn't mean anything anywhere. The deer is trying to pretend that he is human and doing a very bad job of it. He's about to get shot.
    I thought he was talking about their ghillie suits or whatever.:eek:

K-Young

Japanese
    to pops91710
    It's hard to find out Gary Larson's comic in the Internet. Sorry.

Thank you, srk. It is just a bad use of English, I see.

JamesM

It's a deliberately bad use of English. The deer is failing to mimic a human properly. He is combining real English words in nonsensical combinations. "Animal mimicry" usually refers to humans imitating animal sounds. He is making a joke about the idea of animals mimicking us. :)

sdgraham

USA English
    The problem, K-Young, is not that it's bad English.

Sometimes nonsense is used for a special effect. For example, the classics, "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll are loaded with what might be nonsense under ordinary circumstances.

Gary Larson was a master of the absurd in his cartoons. Even some of us native speakers have trouble with his humor from time to time, but I loved his work, nevertheless.

As such, "The Far Side," probably is not the best vehicle for learning English.

[cross-posted with JamesM]

K-Young

Japanese
    It's a deliberately bad use of English. The deer is failing to mimic a human properly. He is combining real English words in nonsensical combinations. "Animal mimicry" usually refers to humans imitating animal sounds. He is making a joke about the idea of animals mimicking us. :)
    Thank you very much, JamesM. "Deliberately", I see. "Animal mimicry", I see, too.

K-Young

Japanese
    The problem, K-Young, is not that it's bad English.

Sometimes nonsense is used for a special effect. For example, the classics, "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll are loaded with what might be nonsense under ordinary circumstances.

Gary Larson was a master of the absurd in his cartoons. Even some of us native speakers have trouble with his humor from time to time, but I loved his work, nevertheless.

As such, "The Far Side," probably is not the best vehicle for learning English.

[cross-posted with JamesM]
    Thank you for your advice in the last line, sdgraham, but I just enjoy the Far Side. In Japan, where I live, there's no translation books. I come across so many times what I don't understand.

< Previous | Next >