the value associated with product Z is subtracted from the total amount (word order)

J. Holmes

Spanish
Hola a todos,

Quiero traducir la siguiente frase: Sólo cuando el gasto total supera el mínimo establecido, el valor asociado al producto Z se resta de la cantidad total.

Aquí van dos intentos:

(a) Only when the total cost exceeds the established minimum, the value associated with product Z is subtracted from the total amount.
(b) Only when the total cost exceeds the established minimum is the value associated with product Z subtracted from the total amount.

¿Hay algo mal con estas opciones?
¿Cuál sería preferible?
¿Alguna sugerencia adicional?

Gracias.

• Cholo234

American English
    "If a negative adverb or adverbial expression is put at the beginning of a clause for emphasis, it is usually followed by auxiliary verb + subject. These structures are rather formal." [the verb comes before the subject - is + the value]
    . . .
    Only then did I understand what she meant.
    Only after her death was I able to appreciate her. (
    Practical English Usage)
    Only when the total cost exceeds the established minimum is the value associated with product Z subtracted from the total amount. (your example)

"A list of verbs that (can) function as auxiliaries in English is as follows: be, can, could, dare, do, have, may, might, must, need, ought, shall, should, will, would." (wikipedia.org)

Last edited:

J. Holmes

Spanish
    "If a negative adverb or adverbial expression is put at the beginning of a clause for emphasis, it is usually followed by auxiliary verb + subject. These structures are rather formal." [the verb comes before the subject - is + the value]
    . . .
    Only then did I understand what she meant.
    Only after her death was I able to appreciate her. (
    Practical English Usage)
    Only when the total cost exceeds the established minimum is the value associated with product Z subtracted from the total amount. (your example)

Practical English Usage
    Gracias, Cholo234.

¿Concluyo entonces que la opción (a) no es válida bajo ningún concepto?
    ¿Y si se omitiera only?

(c) When the total cost exceeds the established minimum, the value associated with product Z is subtracted from the total amount

gengo

American English
    Sólo cuando el gasto total supera el mínimo establecido, el valor asociado al producto Z se resta de la cantidad total.

(a) Only when the total cost exceeds the established minimum, the value associated with product Z is subtracted from the total amount.
    (b) Only when the total cost exceeds the established minimum is the value associated with product Z subtracted from the total amount.

¿Concluyo entonces que la opción (a) no es válida bajo ningún concepto?
    ¿Y si se omitiera only?

(c) When the total cost exceeds the established minimum, the value associated with product Z is subtracted from the total amount
    I would say that (b) sounds far more natural, but (a) is not incorrect. (c) also sounds natural.

Personally, I would switch the order around: The value associated with product Z is subtracted from the total amount only when the total cost exceeds the established minimum.

However, your versions b and c sound perfectly fine to me.

J. Holmes

Spanish
    I would say that (b) sounds far more natural, but (a) is not incorrect. (c) also sounds natural.

Personally, I would switch the order around: The value associated with product Z is subtracted from the total amount only when the total cost exceeds the established minimum.

However, your versions b and c sound perfectly fine to me.
    Thank you, gengo.

That really helps.