the wall of my house

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Dulce Alheli, Aug 24, 2009.

  1. Dulce Alheli New Member

    I would like to know when to use el muro and when to use la pared. both means Wall...
    If I have to translate this sentence: The wall of my house is blue.
    El muro (la pared) de mi casa es azul.
    El muro (la pared) de mi casa está azul.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2015
  2. jackaustralia Senior Member

    Australia English
    I would use 'ser' here since it is a description unless, for some reason, you are wanting to convey the idea that it is only blue for a limited period of time. For me, I use 'pared' more often to mean the wall of a house and 'muro' to mean a wall that is not part of a house. (i.e. you always use 'muro' for the Berlin Wall, don't you?) I suppose a native can confirm.
  3. payita

    payita Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    Indeed they both mean 'wall', but to me they mean different kinds of walls:
    "Pared" means wall in a building or a house, whereas "Muro" normally refers to a larger kind of wall, for instance we call the 'Berlin Wall' "El muro de Berlín". A "muro" is usually taller and wider.
    Hope I made myself clear!
  4. Dulce Alheli New Member

    Thanks jack y payita:) things are clear for me:)
  5. juandiego

    juandiego Senior Member

    Granada. España
    Spanish from Spain
    Hello all.
    From a more technical point of view and to be precise:
    Muro is a thick wall that has bearing or retaining capacity either belonging to a building structure or isolated but always of some importance.
    Pared is, so to speak, a minor wall in terms of importance, usually for divisions between rooms, with no bearing or retaining capacity therefore its thickness is not as wide as in the muro's case.
  6. Karratxenk@

    Karratxenk@ New Member

    Spanish - España
    A "muro" can have a gate.

    A "pared" can have a door.

  7. mancunienne girl Senior Member

    English - England
    Could the outside, weight bearing walls of a house be called a "muro" then?
  8. Hyperpolyglot Senior Member

    British Official English
    I think so, the trick here is to think that any wall that is erected from the ground, that are not connected to a ceiling, use muro.
    Any wall that is inside a building, connected to a ceilng, use pared, that's how I always feel they are being used, of course a native speaker can verify whether I am right or wrong.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  9. silmulit Senior Member

    Never really thought about it, but I think your explanation is perfect. When there is a ceiling connected it is usually said "pared" and if it's not, then "muro" is your word. Anyway, there are certain cases when you say "muro" instead of pared like "muro de carga".

Share This Page