The war on ween

< Previous | Next >

JungKim

Korean
The Tonight Show's host Jimmy Fallon acting as Donald Trump was dressed up as "Count Trumpula" and said this:
"It is I, Count Trumpula, wishing you all a very happy Halloween. That's right, I said it: Happy Halloween. It's so great to be able to say Happy Halloween again. The war on ween is over."
Does 'ween' here refer to 'Halloween'? Then what is 'war on ween' or 'war on Halloween'?

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Trump has famously, and repeatedly, referred to the tendency to wish people "Happy Holidays" in December, rather than the religious "Merry Christmas" that assumes those who hear it are necessarily Christian, as "the war on Christmas." Fallon is satirizing this statement.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Generalissimo Trump Goes to Battle Against the "War on Christmas"

Now that the Fox News Channel has dumped the sex-harassment-plagued Commander Bill O'Reilly, what will happen to the War on Christmas? Will President Donald Trump exercise his commander-in-chiefness, and take control of the troops?

In a December 2016 speech at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, Trump told the audience: "You go into a department store," he said "When was the last time you saw 'Merry Christmas'? You don't see it anymore. They want to be politically correct. If I'm president, you will see 'Merry Christmas' in department stores, believe me, believe me. "

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread...p-goes-to-battle-against-the-war-on-christmas

JungKim

Korean
    So the fake Trump said, "It's so great to be able to say Happy Halloween again" but there hasn't been any objection to saying 'Happy Halloween' even among those objecting to 'Merry Christmas', has there?

Egmont

English - U.S.
    So the fake Trump said, "It's so great to be able to say Happy Halloween again" but there hasn't been any objection to saying 'Happy Halloween' even among those objecting to 'Merry Christmas', has there?
    I haven't seen any personally, but I live in a liberal environment. Some fundamentalist Christian groups consider Hallowe'en to be a pagan festival and do not celebrate it. This page shows one example of those views. People who feel that way probably object to others wishing them "Happy Hallowe'en."

Andygc

British English
    but there hasn't been any objection to saying 'Happy Halloween'
    No, of course not. This caricature of Trump said "The war on ween". Fallon is representing Count Trumpula as a moron - seeing "Happy Halloween" (two words) as "Happy hallo ween" (three words). There's nothing profound here.

< Previous | Next >