The wavy lines of art nouveau finished off entrances

< Previous | Next >

liquorice

Italian
Hi, could somebody explain me what the verb "finish off" means in this context? It's a passage describing the influence of "art nouveau" in portoguese architecture.
"The wavy lines of art nouveau finished off entrances along the the new boulevards, which were themselves reminiscent of Paris whence the style had come".
Thank you very much for your help

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I don't think it's great English. I'd take it to mean that the wavy lines completed in the sense of providing the finishing touches; perhaps many of the details of the entrances have already been explained and these wavy lines complete the description.

timpeac

English (England)
    Hi, could somebody explain me what the verb "finish off" means in this context? It's a passage describing the influence of "art nouveau" in portoguese architecture.
    "The wavy lines of art nouveau finished off entrances along the the new boulevards, which were themselves reminiscent of Paris whence the style had come".
    Thank you very much for your help
    I read it as either physically they were the final end part of the entrance (the edge around the entrance) or that aesthetically they were "the finishing touch", the part of the decoration which made the whole image and style complete.

< Previous | Next >