the way of indicating the apposition

< Previous | Next >

Julianus

Korean
Hello.

1.a.But what made him truly famous was his book Lives of the Most Eminent Painters, Sculptors and Architects (shortened as Lives). (from Korean university entrance exam)

I think that in this sentence, 'his book' is in appositon with 'Lives of the Most Eminent Painters, Sculptors and Architects (shortened as Lives)'.
As far as I know, 'comma' or 'of' is used for indicating the apposition. But I think that sentence expresses the apposition by using the different letter's form.
Am I right? And if so, what cases are there about expressing the apposition by using the different letter's form? And shouldn't there any punctuation like following?

1.b. But what made him truly famous was his book; Lives of the Most Eminent Painters, Sculptors and Architects (shortened as Lives).

Thank you always~.

Last edited:
  • Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I'd say a comma was required regardless of the font used for the book title ... a comma and quotes around the title:

But what made him truly famous was his book, 'Lives of the Most Eminent Painters, Sculptors and Architects' (shortened as 'Lives').

gonefishing

English - New Zealand
    For me commas are only used when the appositive is non-restrictive. Because the book title provides essential information about the noun it doesn't need a comma (see Chicago Manual of Style 6.23). However if this was the author's only book or it was common pragmatic knowledge that this was the book that made him truly famous it would need commas.
    The italics are a separate style issue. They are used because it is the title of a book.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I disagree with Beryl and agree with Gonefishing. Putting a comma after "book" says that the title that follows is the author's only book; if the original doesn't have one, I wouldn't insert it (unless I knew it was the author's only book). Yes, italics should be used; quotes around the title should not be added.

< Previous | Next >