the way of life/ or living

piggy94

Banned
Korean&English
I found the way of live and the way of living in google and I wonder why I cannot use ' living' and why only ' life' is correct.

They discovered, deep down below the street, a wealth of remains of the Viking way of __________ranging from shoes, needles, plants and insects – in fact, every aspect of everyday life in Viking times.
As a result of these valuable finds, the Jorvik Viking Museum was built. Down below

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I found the way of live life and the way of living in Google and I wonder why I cannot use 'living' and why only 'life' is correct.

"They discovered, deep down below the street, a wealth of remains of the Viking way of __________ranging from shoes, needles, plants and insects – in fact, every aspect of everyday life in Viking times. As a result of these valuable finds, the Jorvik Viking Museum was built."
    Way of life is a set phrase encompassing, as your quoted text says, every aspect of everyday life.

e2efour

UK English
    You can say "way of living" if you want, although this is a much less common expression than "way of life".
    It would probably be used by an anthropologist who spends a period (say five years) living among a tribe. Way of life suggest a much long period, at least one-hundred years. But the anthropologist might well say "It did not take me long to get used to their way of living." But perhaps this refers to the practical aspects of how they lived more than their culture.

< Previous | Next >