the weather machine and germ warfare divisions

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
The Simpsons are not happy at the new place, except for Homer who's doing very well at his new job:
HOMER: We've got it great here. And for the first time in my life, I'm actually good at my job. My team is way ahead of the weather machine and germ warfare divisions.
The Simpsons

It means there is one weather machine division and one germ warfare division at the company, and the definite article in the OP refers to both of them. Is that right?

Thanks.

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    That's how I understand it.
    Although there could possibly be several of each i.e. the weather machine divisions and the germ warfare divisions :rolleyes: However, I wouldn't expect it to mean one weather division and several germ warfare divisions.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you!
    A follow-up question.

In case there's only one weather machine and one germ warfare division:
    My team is way ahead of the weather machine and the germ warfare division.:tick:
    My team is way ahead of the weather machine and germ warfare division.:cross:

In case there're several weather machine and germ warfare divisions:
    My team is way ahead of the weather machine and the germ warfare divisions.:tick:

Am I right?

kentix

English - U.S.
    Here are my answers. Once you have that second "the", the word "division" no longer carries over between the two parts.

In case there's only one weather machine and one germ warfare division:
    My team is way ahead of the weather machine division and the germ warfare division.:tick:
    My team is way ahead of the weather machine and germ warfare division.:cross:

In case there're several weather machine and germ warfare divisions:
    My team is way ahead of the weather machine divisions and the germ warfare divisions.:tick:

< Previous | Next >