The weather was too hot to / for me

< Previous | Next >

mysina

Hello. If I want to say that I found the weather too hot, should I say ´The weather was too hot to me´ or ´The weather was too hot for me´? Which preposition is correct? Thanks for your answers.

• eyeofhorus

English - Ireland
    No, here the correct form is 'My daughter is very important to me'.
    In your first example, 'for [me to tolerate/accept/endure]' is implied.

Gotta run, hope another member can offer you some 'rules'...
    :)

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Maybe this will help.

The weather was too hot to play tennis. (We did not want to play because it was so hot.)
    The weather was too hot to eat ice cream on the porch. (We could not eat ice cream outdoors because it would melt in the heat.)
    The weather was too hot to me. (I could not .... what? I could not exist because of the heat?)
    The weather was too hot for me. (The weather was too hot, in my opinion.)
    The weather seemed too hot for me. (The weather was too hot, in my opinion.)
    The weather felt too hot for me. (The weather was too hot, in my opinion.)

Biffo

English - England
    Maybe this will help.

The weather was too hot to play tennis. (We did not want to play because it was so hot.)
    The weather was too hot to eat ice cream on the porch. (We could not eat ice cream outdoors because it would melt in the heat.)
    The weather was too hot to me. (I could not .... what? I could not exist because of the heat?)
    The weather was too hot for me. (The weather was too hot, in my opinion.)
    The weather seemed too hot for me. (The weather was too hot, in my opinion.)
    The weather felt too hot for me. (The weather was too hot, in my opinion.)
    Hi Sparky Malarky. I think I have spotted a problem with your first three examples. In (1) and (2) the 'to' is not a preposition. It forms part of the infinitive of the verb. In (3) there is no verb so the sentence is different.

If you analyse your first example it still comes out as 'for'.

The weather was too hot [for us] to play tennis.

< Previous | Next >