the weft of one’s existence

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
He nodded but felt quietly anxious. Freddie didn’t like changes in routine; he didn’t like it when unscheduled things happened. He didn’t like the way little holes opened up in the weft of his existence and let other, unexpected things in.
source: Watching You by Lisa Jewell

what is the metaphorical meaning of weft in the weft of his existence?

gloss:
1583044441964.jpeg

thank you.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Your picture might suggest that the weft, traveling in and out of the warp, can be likened to a person moving from one experience to another.

Between the warp and the weft there are 'little holes', a fact which extends the metaphor.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I don't know about other people, but I can never remember which is the warp and which is the weft, and I might interpret "weft" to really mean "fabric". To me it seems that Freddie is likening his life ("existence") to a fabric, which is perhaps not as closely woven as he would wish, so holes open up between the threads. This is, of course, a guess, but it is just the sort of guessing readers have to do when writers employ unusual metaphors.

se16teddy

English - England
    I am familiar with the phrase “warp and woof”, used as a conventional metaphor referring to the structure, shape, essence (and so on) of a thing.
    warp and woof
    This author has adapted and abbreviated the phrase. I don’t know anything about textiles, but I suppose that “weft” and “woof” are synonyms.

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Interesting. I've never heard of "warp and woof", only "warp and weft". The only woof I've ever heard (of) is the barking of a dog.
    I'm surprised at how frequent ngrams shows warp and woof to be relative to warp and weft.

kentix

English - U.S.
    "He didn’t like the way little holes opened up in the weft of his existence and let other, unexpected things in."

what is the metaphorical meaning of weft in the weft of his existence?
    I think the only specific meaning it has is to make you think of woven cloth. That's the metaphor.

The word warp would not have worked so well because it has so many other meanings.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >