the West’s green acres of semi-detached domesticity.

natasha_139

Chinese
Hi everyone.Still the same article "New fiction, Last Man in Tower" on Economist.com.

Link:http://www.economist.com/node/18985769

In the first paragraph, there says " green acres of..." . Then I googled "green acres" which said it was a tv series set in that so-called "green acres" country farm.

Here's the context "THE suburbs of Mumbai do not resemble the West’s green acres of semi-detached domesticity. "

I am not sure whether it refers to that Farm which is used to make a comparison between India's suburbs. And what does "semi-detached domesticity" mean here? Dose it refer to a kind of house?

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    I don't think the phrase "green acres" has anything to do with the TV show, Natasha. Though people old enough to remember it or those who watch reruns of old shows would know what "Green Acres" was, the writer is using "green acres" to describe houses that are surrounded by lawns and trees. If the writer wanted us to think about the TV show, he or she would probably have capitalized the phrase. If that writer didn't capitalize it, an editor probably would.

natasha_139

Chinese
    I don't think the phrase "green acres" has anything to do with the TV show, Natasha. Though people old enough to remember it or those who watch reruns of old shows would know what "Green Acres" was, the writer is using "green acres" to describe houses that are surrounded by lawns and trees. If the writer wanted us to think about the TV show, he or she would probably have capitalized the phrase. If that writer didn't capitalize it, an editor probably would.
    thanks for your quick reply.
    well in that case, I feel more confused about what "semi-detached domesticity" is. What does it mean exactly?

owlman5

English-US
    That's a good question, Natasha. I suspect that it means that people live in private dwellings although these dwellings also belong to neighborhoods in the suburbs. That's just a guess, though, and like all guesses it could be wrong.

natasha_139

Chinese
    That's a good question, Natasha. I suspect that it means that people live in private dwellings although these dwellings also belong to neighborhoods in the suburbs. That's just a guess, though, and like all guesses it could be wrong.
    So you mean it could be a kind of property that shares the same wall with neighborhood?
    I mean "semi-detached domesticity" is like "semi-detached house" or "detached villa", that sort of thing?

Copyright

American English
    So you mean it could be a kind of property that shares the same wall with neighborhood?
    I mean "semi-detached domesticity" is like "semi-detached house" or "detached villa", that sort of thing?
    I would interpret "semi-detached domesticity" as people living in semi-detached homes (which are typically homes that share a common wall, so two homes, two families, one actual structure ... like this image).

Edit: Cross-posted with AutumnOwl while I was thumbing through images.

natasha_139

Chinese
    I would interpret "semi-detached domesticity" as people living in semi-detached homes (which are typically homes that share a common wall, so two homes, two families, one actual structure ... like this image).

Yes,it's quite clear. Thank you,Copyright.

natasha_139

Chinese

Hi, Copyright,I have another question as regards this paragraph. Could you tell me what "the West's" refers to? Is it western countries or western India?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Hi natasha
    You would probably realise what 'the West' must mean if you can check what side of India Mumbai is on. The WR dictionary above explains the difference between 'west' and 'West'

:)
    Hermione

Copyright

American English
    Hi, Copyright,I have another question as regards this paragraph. Could you tell me what "the West's" refers to? Is it western countries or western India?
    From the WR dictionary: west:
    • 2 the west of a country, region, or town.
    • ■ (the West) Europe and North America seen in contrast to other civilizations.
    • ■ (the West) historical the non-Communist states of Europe and North America.

natasha_139

Chinese
    From the WR dictionary: west:
    • 2 the west of a country, region, or town.
    • ■ (the West) Europe and North America seen in contrast to other civilizations.
    • ■ (the West) historical the non-Communist states of Europe and North America.
    Thank you Copyright. I should have used our online dictionary well. I would remember to check the dic. before I post the new thread.

< Previous | Next >