the wholesome closed body of

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
Does the bold "body" in the following text mean "human body in conventional advertising" or "the arena of conventional advertising"?

Extract:
In rejecting the wholesome, closed body of conventional advertising, Toscani also drew close to the sort of abject art that represents the vulnerability of the body in terms of its fluids and openness, the seepages of milk, semen or faeces in a number of Kiki Smith’s figures, for example. The incorporation of the open and vulnerable into the lexicon of both art and advertising was a vital move, helping to redress idealised media stereotypes of the ‘contained’ body (Art and Advertising by Joan Gibbons).

• suzi br

English / England
    I think it means human body when we set “wholesome closed body” in opposition to the vulnerable open body releasing semen/blood etc.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Your question is rather confusing:
    Does the bold "body" in the following text mean "human body in conventional advertising" or "the arena of conventional advertising"?
    If that were the case, the sentence would read: "In rejecting the wholesome, closed human body in conventional advertising of conventional advertising,"

of conventional advertising, = that is usually used in conventional advertising,

And you should have bolded thus: "In rejecting the wholesome, closed body of conventional advertising,": closed body is a nonce use of "closed" and one sematic unit in this context.

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    Your question is rather confusing:

If that were the case, the sentence would read: "In rejecting the wholesome, closed human body in conventional advertising of conventional advertising,"

of conventional advertising, = that is usually used in conventional advertising,

And you should have bolded thus: "In rejecting the wholesome, closed body of conventional advertising,": closed body is a nonce use of "closed" and one sematic unit in this context.
    Hi Paul. In spite of your explanation, I can not understand whether you mean "human body in conventional advertising" or "the arena of conventional advertising".

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    In rejecting the wholesome, closed body of conventional advertising,
    Having revisited this, I note that "advertising" is qualified by an adjective and is thus a verbal noun that is synonymous with "advertisements".

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    Having revisited this, I note that "advertising" is qualified by an adjective and is thus a verbal noun that is synonymous with "advertisements".
    But my question was about the meaning of "body" and not the "advertising" :oops:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Sorry, my revisiting was too brief... :D It is not a "body of advertising" it is a closed [human] body used as an image in advertising:
    I think it means human body when we set “wholesome closed body” in opposition to the vulnerable open body releasing semen/blood etc.
    A body that is not exuding fluids or fecal matter.

< Previous | Next >