the window cleaners will return to complete the abseil clean

Goldenboy25

Krio
Are you able to tell me if the phrase" the window cleaners will return to complete the abseil clean" is correct in the following sentence?

We are pleased to announce that the window cleaners will return to complete the abseil clean on Wednesday, the 03rd of October.

Last edited:
  • zipp404

Bilingual English|Español
    To abseil means to descend a vertical surface by using a doubled rope coiled round the body and fixed at a higher point or on a wooden surface, just like professional window-cleaners of skyscrapers do.

Perhaps you mean to say:

We are pleased to announce that the window cleaners will return to complete the abseil this coming Wednesday, October the 3rd in order to finish cleaning the windows.

?

[Italian removed from the English Only forum. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited:

se16teddy

English - England
    I am not an expert in window-cleaning, but I suspect that the same goes for most other contributors to WordReference. There are lots of reference to abseil cleaning on the Internet, and it does not strike me as odd to create a countable noun "an abseil clean" from it.
    I am not sure what you mean by "correct" here. It is a handy category to use in the classroom, where teachers have to decide how many points to award, but most writing is not like that!

Andygc

British English
    I have no problem with the sentence in the OP given the provided background. If the context did not tell me that "abseil clean" referred to window cleaning on a high building I would be mystified.

I'd be very surprised if health and safety at work regulations would permit window cleaners to abseil using a rope around the body. I would expect them to use a descender, such as this Petzl Rig Descender - Compact Self-Braking Descender - Northern Arb

Goldenboy25

Krio
    I have no problem with the sentence in the OP given the provided background. If the context did not tell me that "abseil clean" referred to window cleaning on a high building I would be mystified.

I'd be very surprised if health and safety at work regulations would permit window cleaners to abseil using a rope around the body. I would expect them to use a descender, such as this Petzl Rig Descender - Compact Self-Braking Descender - Northern Arb
    It's window cleaning

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Are you able to tell me if the phrase" the window cleaners will return to complete the abseil clean" is correct in the following sentence?

We are pleased to announce that the window cleaners will return to complete the abseil clean on Wednesday, the 03rd of October.
    I think it's a perfectly idiomatic statement.

1570007298006.png

< Previous | Next >