the with proper nouns

< Previous | Next >

sfemalediver

Taiwanese
I have problems to use "the" with proper nouns. I don't know when and if i should use "the" with proper nouns, and too many "the" in the senteces seems disturbing.

AAA and BBB are proper nouns in the following two examples.

For example:
1. The connected computer is used to program "the" AAA. Also, the computer running "the" BBB software can be used to monitor the information from "the" AAA. If the computer is offline, "the" AAA stores this information on the database for later transmission.

2. Connect the (+) wire of the output device to the COM point of "the" AAA. And connect the (+) wire of the external power supply to the NO or NC point of "the" AAA based on the statue of the output device.

• AlabamaBoy

American English
    I am sorry, I don't think there is a formula that you can use. Most proper names do not take a definite article, but there are plenty of exceptions:
    the Supreme Court
    the White House
    the Statue of Liberty
    the President of the United States

but no definite article with
    Microsoft Corporation
    Chysler Corporation
    Governor Richardson
    Airbus Industries
    President Obama
    Fifth Avenue
    Wall Street

but you can use a definite article with:
    The Boeing Company

So I don't think that a general rule can be given... We have to know what the BBB and the AAA are.

sdgraham

USA English
    It's not at all clear that your example involves proper nouns.

1. The connected computer is used to program "the" AAA. Also, the computer running "the" BBB software can be used to monitor the information from "the" AAA. If the computer is offline, "the" AAA stores this information on the database for later transmission.
    For example, in "the BBB software," the article goes with "software," not "BBB."

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    So I don't think that a general rule can be given... We have to know what the BBB and the AAA are.
    Certainly, for AAA it seems to be being used as a shorthand for some specific device, so it's likely that THE will be required each time it's used.

For the BBB software, it might refer to something like MacOSX or Windows7 where the THE would not be necessary, but if it were a specific program (e.g. the ENCODER software or program) the THE would probably be needed too.
    Context, context, context :D

but no definite article with
    Microsoft Corporation
    Chysler Corporation
    Governor Richardson
    Airbus Industries
    President Obama
    Fifth Avenue
    Wall Street
    I hate to disagree, but both Chrysler and Microsoft generally require the definite article when "Corporation" is added. Thus:

"Chrysler announced another round of layoffs" and "Microsoft is often accused of market hegemony." But,

"The Chrysler Corporation is in difficult financial straits" and "the Microsoft Corporation made another trillion dollars yesterday."

I believe this is true with all companies that include "corporation" in their full titles.

Last edited:

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Even with Corporation you have to check the company's own usage: The absence of a name or logo in this list does not constitute a waiver of any and all intellectual property rights that Microsoft Corporation or its subsidiaries have established . . .

Likewise (the/The) Bank of X.

Though these don't impact on the original poster's questions.

< Previous | Next >