The word for a word which describes itself?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by quiveringchode, Oct 10, 2008.

  1. quiveringchode New Member

    Is there such a word?

    I don't mean 'onomatopoeia'...

    For example, 'sesquipedlian'.
  2. ewie

    ewie Senior Member

    Another Country
    English English
    Welcome to the forum, QC:)

    Erm ... not entirely sure what you're asking. Is it: Sesquipedalian is a multisyllabic word meaning multisyllabic? Is there a name for that kind of word?
  3. quiveringchode New Member


    Yes, that's right. Polysyllabic, or simply a very long word. I did have other examples, but I can't think of them right now!

    I'm not sure if there is a word describing this phenomenon, but I just thought I'd ask.
  4. Istarion Senior Member

    Paris, France
    British English
    Autological ;).
  5. quiveringchode New Member

    Much appreciated!

Share This Page