the word "pending"

caroline0729

Chinese Mandarin
The resource requirements have been maintained at the same level pending a review of the proposals to be submitted to the General Assembly for approval as part of the United Nations programme budget for 2012–2013.

I found pending has several meanings.
as an adjective
(a) waiting to be dec:ided or settled
(b) about to happen; imminent
as a preposition
(a) while waiting for (sth); until
(b) during (sth)

I'm a little confused. It can be a participle of "pend", which may mean delaying here. it can alsocmean the meaning "during".
Is there anyone able to explain the "pending" here for me?

• Broccolicious

English - England
    Hi Caroline

This sentence could be reworded like this:

The resource requirements have been maintained at the same level, and they will stay that way until we hear the results of the review of proposals to be submitted...

So it's both of the meanings of the preposition. Does that make sense?

Broc

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The verb 'pend' hardly exists; you can ignore that. The word 'pending' has really only one meaning, "(while) waiting for something to happen". As an adjective: a pending review is one that hasn't finished yet (and perhaps hasn't started yet). We're waiting for it to end (and perhaps to start too), so we're "during" a waiting period. As a preposition: we might do something else pending the review, or pending the completion of the review. That is, also, we're waiting for the review to happen or to finish.

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Caroline. Here's the original sentence: The resource requirements have been maintained at the same level pending a review of the proposals to be submitted to the General Assembly for approval as part of the United Nations programme budget for 2012–2013.

I don't think you should replace "pending" with "during" in this sentence. Here it means "waiting to be decided or settled".

caroline0729

Chinese Mandarin
    Hello, Caroline. Here's the original sentence: The resource requirements have been maintained at the same level pending a review of the proposals to be submitted to the General Assembly for approval as part of the United Nations programme budget for 2012–2013.

I don't think you should replace "pending" with "during" in this sentence. Here it means "waiting to be decided or settled".

I'm confused. "waiting to be decided or settled" means in the sentence the resource requirements are waiting to be decided or the review is waiting to be decided. Could you please provide me with a reworded version? I think Broc's rewording sounds correct.

owlman5

English-US
    The important part in Broc's rewording is "...until we hear the results of the review of proposals to be submitted". You could replace "pending" with "awaiting" in the original sentence. "During" doesn't do the job.

caroline0729

Chinese Mandarin
    Thanks a lot. I find it easy for me to understand by replacing the word "awaiting". I don't know why - if it is the word "pending", I cannot understand it well. Thank you again for the word "awaiting".

< Previous | Next >