the word 'principles' here connect or refer to what ?

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi here BHS’s activities reflect a women-centered approach that strengthens Cambodian health systems and builds on Cambodian government policy and prioritiesprinciples of USAID’s Global Health Initiative. principles connect or refer to what ?
to activities
to approach
to Cambodian government policy and priorities

Thank you.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I suspect that building on local health systems and government policies are the principles referred to, but I agree that the sentence itself does not make this clear.

Please give us the sentence before this sentence and the one that follows it. Perhaps that will help us figure out the direction of the thought.

whpsh

English - American
    As a plural, it appears to reference both "improving women-centered health systems" and "working with the local government" . They just have it broken up through the whole sentence.

"Principle" here is this definition: a guiding sense of the obligations of good conduct

I won't punch you on principle.

USAID wants to improve health care on principle.
    On principle, USAID will work with local governments while helping the people.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you all.

Please see below more contexts:

Through the implementation of globally recognized USAID best practices and interventions, the BHS project has been addressing the clinical and systemic challenges to reducing maternal and newborn mortality rate. BHS’s activities reflect a women-centered approach that strengthens Cambodian health systems and builds on Cambodian government policy and priorities – principles of USAID’s Global Health Initiative. BHS’ efforts have already resulted in improved access to and provision of Emergency Obstetric and Newborn Care (EmONC) services at designated hospitals and health centers

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Thank you all.

Please see below more contexts:

Through the implementation of globally recognized USAID best practices and interventions, the BHS project has been addressing the clinical and systemic challenges to reducing maternal and newborn mortality rate. BHS’s activities reflect a women-centered approach that strengthens Cambodian health systems and builds on Cambodian government policy and priorities – principles of USAID’s Global Health Initiative. BHS’ efforts have already resulted in improved access to and provision of Emergency Obstetric and Newborn Care (EmONC) services at designated hospitals and health centers.
    I think, in answer to your original question, that the principles referred to involve relating the project to what already exists in the country—that is, strengthening the country's own health systems and building on already-existing Cambodian policies and priorities (rather than introducing any radical change in those systems, policies, and priorities). Does that make sense to you?

Camlearner

Khmer
    Yes I think it makes sense .
    May I ask what is the function of the word principles in this sentence ? I think it look like a relative pronoun (I'm not sure) ? And why it is used like that ? I mean can we write again the sentence in another easier way to read with the same meaning ? It look strange for me to understand quickly when I read the sentence.

scrotgrot

English - English
    ...policy and priorities, which are all principles of USAID's Global Health initiative.

It's ellipsis.

You could say as a woman-centred approach, strengthening Cambodian health systems and building on Cambodian government policy, BHS's activities represent three principles of USAID's Global Health initiative.

I think this is clear, if not particularly different. The important thing is that I made the three things into a list and then used the number three to make the list's itemisation clearer.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you scrotgrot. If we write like this BHS's activities represent three principles of USAID's Global Health initiative : woman-centred approach, strengthening Cambodian health systems and building on Cambodian government policy , is it still called ellipsis? because if write like this, it's more easier to understand , I think.

< Previous | Next >