The word "tiniest" in line/on line 1...

lapachis8

Mexico-Spanish
Hi everyone,
Which sentence is best written? I´m not a native speaker.

"The word "tiniest" in line/on line 1 closest meaning is:"
or
The closest meaning to the word "tiniest" in line/on line 1 is: "

If you find a better way to put it, I would appreciate your help.

cheers

Moderator note: Please include a word or phrase from your question in the thread title. I've changed the title for you.

• User1001

American English
    Hi everyone. Which sentence is better written? (I'm not a native speaker.)

1) "The word "tiniest" in line/on line one closest meaning is:"
    2) "The closest meaning to the word "tiniest" in line/on line one is:"

If you find a better way to put it, I would appreciate your help.

Cheers!
    The second sentence is the better choice to use out of the two. The corrections I made in red simply dealt with mechanics (punctuation). The corrections in green dealt with grammar (specifically word usage) and a simple rule when writing out numbers.

Number Rule: Numbers that are ten or below must be written out, and normally numbers with two digits are also written out, but not always.

I didn't need to make too many corrections to your English, so keep up the great work! :)

nay92

English, England
    The first sentance i would say is wrong. The second one seems correct to me though. If you where to say both, i would say "on" not "in".

Also, numbers in scientific papers, generally are written as the numeral. For example: 23 mg. Not twenty-three milligrams.

I learned to write out numbers that had no more than two words to them. Remember that a hyphenated word is one word. Like twenty-five thousand.

lapachis8

Mexico-Spanish
    Thanks for the reminder caballoschica,
    As a matter of fact, in Spanish numerals from zero to nine should be written with letters, from 10 onwards they should be written with numbers.
    Does that apply in English as well? Thanks for the hyphen reminder.
    cheers

It depends on the number. But in general, I don't think so.

For example, you would write ten, eleven, twelve,...twenty, twenty-one,.......fifty-five...........seventy..............ninety......one hundred all out because they have two words or fewer. In fact, the only number that has two words before "one hundred" is "one hundred."

Now, you wouldn't write out one hundred thousand. You'd write 100,000, but you'd write out two million.

< Previous | Next >