the worldwide scandal embroiling the 1.2-billion strong church

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does "the worldwide scandal" refer back to "clergy sex abuse"?

Grand jury report on clergy sex abuse: What you need to know ahead of its release
<..........................>
By order from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, the Commonwealth has until 2 p.m. tomorrow to release the report.
The report is widely expected to be one of the most scathing and comprehensive investigations into the worldwide scandal embroiling the 1.2-billion strong church.

-Abuse Tracker

Source

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Yes, but I don't think this can be determined entirely from the language. The writer assumes the reader to have some background knowledge.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Yeah. I searched "xuecheng (Top Chinese monk)" and was led to here. What does clergy have anything to do with monk? Both are embroiled in the similar scandal...

Thank you.:)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    This is about the Roman Catholic church which has both priests and monks. I believe that the scandal involves priests more than monks. There have been scandals in most or all of the countries in which this international church operates.

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    There are monks, and priests, in religions other the Christian denominations. The article refers to the Christian denomination called Roman Catholicism because the head of this church is the Pope with head quarters in Rome.
    I don't know why your search term led you to this article. The same term leads me to articles about Xue.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >