...the writings of as many native English writers as....

< Previous | Next >

Microctg

India
"This phrase is available in the writings of as many native English writers as I have read."

'the writings of as many native English writers as I have read' ---Is it correct and appropriate in the sentence above?

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    It's grammatically correct, but the repetition writings as... writers as sounds very awkward.

I think I'd prefer: "This phrase is found in the writings of all the native English writers I have read."

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I agree. The meaning of "available in" does not fit this sentence. Better for this sentence is "found in" or "often in" or even just "in".

Something that is "available" is something that is present, for you to chose to use or not use. You could say that a phrase is "available in English", since you can use it. But the fact that it the phrase is used by some author does not make it "available" for you to use.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    "This phrase is available in the writings of as many native English writers as I have read."

'the writings of as many native English writers as I have read' ---Is it correct and appropriate in the sentence above?
    You wouldn't expect to find it in French writers, would you? I can't see any point in phrasing this idea so tortuously.

< Previous | Next >