(the) xxx independent organization

AudreyH

Italian
Hi guys,

I am not sure about the use of the article in the following sentence:

"From March 1 to April 30, 2010, (the) xxx independent organization promoted a project etc."

(xxx stands for the name of the organization.)

Is the article necessary in this case?

I know I could also write: "(...), XXX, an independent organization, promoted etc." or "(...), the independent organization called XXX, etc.", but I would like to understand the correct use of the article in the above-mentioned case.

Moreover, is the name of the organization placed correctly within the sentence? ["(the) xxx independent organization" vs. "the independent organization xxx"].

Thanks!

• Copyright

American English
    It would likely depend on the name of the organization. Why don't you create one that is similar to the original? Speculation about XXX is never wise.

I will, however, say that "... the Bob's Bowling League independent organization promoted <whatever>" would be odd, with or without the article.

You would be better off with your alternative.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "(the) xxx independent organization" is a strange and, on the face of it, non-idiomatic phrase, unless it is the organization's title, in which case, it should have initial capitals:

"From March 1 to April 30, 2010, (The) Chisholm Independent Organization promoted a project etc."

The question of "the" is then dependant upon whether "The" is part of the title or not... Can you help us?

(Cross post)

AudreyH

Italian
    You are right. The name of the organization is important in this case.
    Let's say it is called "Freedom 10". (Sorry for the meaningless name, it's just an example).

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    You might say "From March 1 to April 30, 2010, the independent organization, Freedom 10, promoted a project etc."

Copyright

American English
    Thank you ... I would advise dropping the idea of using the name of the company as a modifier for "independent organization." You would get this if you don't:

"From March 1 to April 30, 2010, the Freedom 10 independent organization promoted a project etc."

I would suggest you stick with:

"From March 1 to April 30, 2010, Freedom 10, an independent organization of senior citizens, promoted a project etc."

< Previous | Next >